Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Default Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words

Sometimes there is not enough words to describe the job Nosler has done in thinking out the design and configuration by combining the components of the M48 TGR. As you all know I have an M48 TGR 7mm08 and you also know how my M48 just digest most bullets and loads and is an extremely accurate rifle, being a true 1/4" rifle with some loads and keeps all my loads with bullets tried under and inch. Yes, I go to great links with my reloading, using all that I have learned over the years to produce good loads.

Now that said, I think it was the right thing for Nosler to go with the 24" barrel for the 7mm08 while still holding down the weight of the rifle instead of a 22" barrel and for them to chose the hand lapped PacNor for the barrel was another good move. I say this because today at the range with me being one who is given to being a tinkerer (go figure), decided to test Q/L estimation that a 160gr Speer SBT Hot Core could be driven without being over max at 2800fps plus.

Well today at the range I tested their theory and the 24" barrel paid off in that I was able to drive the 160gr bullet at 2820fps on average using W760 with not any pressure signs. Now get this, my extreme spread on both groups tried was 6 and the deviation was 3 and the worst of the two groups was .662".

Now what makes this so wonderful is that this 160gr bullet with a BC of .515 matches the LR Duplex drop dots on my Leupold FX II 6x36mm almost perfectly. With such a low extreme spread of 6 and a deviation of 3 this will be a fine hunting and long range load. This Nosler M48 TGR is an extremely fine rifle.

Here are the calculation figures if the drop is sight in at 200yds zero using the LR Duplex by Leupold in my FX II 6x36 mm

Range Aim point actual drop

100 yards Cross hair +1.78

200 yards cross hiar 0.0

300 yards first dot - 7.9

400 yards second dot - 23.1

500 yards third shot - 46.7

Here is how my 160gr load with .515 BC works out at 2820fps

Range Aim point actual drop

100yds Cross Hair +1.7
200yds Cross Hair 0"
300yds First Dot -7.4"
400yds Second Dot -21.4"
500yds Third dot -42.8"

Still having 2,000 foot pounds of energy out to 262yds.

Not everyone has a chronograph, but everyone has a wish list in their head. There are plenty of niches to be filled in my life. They all start with "I want this." and need no real reason for existing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #2

I was sceptical at first myself and when I fired the first round I looked at the chronograph read out on screen and decided to take a picture unless this velocity was not achieved again, but the high velocities was 2824fps.

Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words - General Rifle Discussion

Yep, this load will certainly do.

Here is a mushroom I saw at the range and just thought it was pretty.

Not everyone has a chronograph, but everyone has a wish list in their head. There are plenty of niches to be filled in my life. They all start with "I want this." and need no real reason for existing.
People Like This 
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

How far have you had a chance to shoot so far? How many grains of 760? 45+gr Gona try any other bullets.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
How far have you had a chance to shoot so far? How many grains of 760? 45+gr Gona try any other bullets.
I have practice out to 600yds, I have done a great deal of load work, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Barnes and Speer.

I do not give out powder charges because every rifle is different and I hope you understand my view. Q/L will give you some starting loads.

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/120901

Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #5

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Now, there's some randomness...

"My rifle is awesome, my loads are awesome, oh look, a pretty mushroom..."

Hey, good shooting man! Keep it up, keep having fun, and keep us informed!
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

excellent post there Bullet. very good shooting as well. sounds like the rifle and ammo are in perfect harmony!

BTW, nice looking mushroom!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #7

Thanks guys, that is a cool looking mushroom, I thought folks would get a kick out of it.

Here is another load but BC is not as good nor was the extreme spread or deviation but it sure shot good at 100yds.

Nosler M48 TGR 7mm08 24" barrel, 140gr Sierra HPBT G/K 47.5grs W760, Fed 210 match primers, Rem brass, 2858fps average, 9 shot group, hunting load, ready for hunting season.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet
Thanks guys, that is a cool looking mushroom, I thought folks would get a kick out of it.
i got a kick out of how random it was, but awesome groups.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
i got a kick out of how random it was, but awesome groups.
Thanks Garadex

Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2990 Times on 1945 Posts

Randomness! Mushrooms I found the other day, I'm eating popcorn now, haven't shot in four days, not working this weekend, ...

I need another beer.

forumrunner_20121027_001146.jpg