Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Someone help out the new guy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/someone-help-out-new-guy-92455/)

noahlanier9 06-18-2013 01:24 AM

Someone help out the new guy

I'm looking into purchasing my first bolt action rifle and I could use some help. I want to try my luck in deer and bear hunting, so from the research I've done a 30-06 chambered rifle seems to be ideal. I'm gonna be going to my LGS to start checking some out but would like to have a place to start. What would be a good rifle in a 30-06? I'm not particular to any one brand so give me any you can think of. Thanks for the help and any tips you got.

jjfuller1 06-18-2013 01:26 AM

savage, marlin, remington, wincheter. they all make good rifles. you need to find one that YOU like. and that fits you.. dont want to feel like your reaching for the trigger, or its too short, or long. go ask to see some bolt 30-06 from different brands. find one you must go home with.

noahlanier9 06-18-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1
savage, marlin, remington, wincheter. they all make good rifles. you need to find one that YOU like. and that fits you.. dont want to feel like your reaching for the trigger, or its too short, or long. go ask to see some bolt 30-06 from different brands. find one you must go home with.

Is there any other things I should do to check fit besides everything you already listed? Or is it just one of those things that I will know what one fits me best!?

c3shooter 06-18-2013 01:35 AM

Good advice- and be prepared to spend 25% or more of the purchase price on a scope. You CAN buy a cheaper one. You'll be sorry.

There are several other calibers you can look at- but a 30-06 will do the job for anything short of African big game (or a blue whale)

jjfuller1 06-18-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahlanier9 (Post 1279330)
Is there any other things I should do to check fit besides everything you already listed? Or is it just one of those things that I will know what one fits me best!?

sure, if you should work the bolt and magazine(if applicable) on any them. if you find one you think you like ask to dryfire it(squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber).... give them all a good once over and look to see where different features are like the safety... most likely you'll see one and know.. kind of like a car or girl.

KJG67 06-18-2013 01:45 AM

There are other's here that have loads more experience than I do, but I bookmarked this article on fitting.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/fitting-long-range-rifle-1.php

I have to admit I find it odd that so many people at the range shoot from the benchrest only (read the article).

glewis 06-18-2013 01:19 PM

Based on my personal experience, albeit limited:

30-06s, check out weatherby vanguard and winchester model 70. I believe both can be had in a 24" barrel in wood or synthetic stocks. Both offer improved trigger systems that are user adjustable (I prefer a gunsmith just to be extra safe).

If you care to step up to a magnum, Sportsmans Whse offers a Winchester Model 70 "extreme sporter" in magnum only calibers for around $650-$700 that, to me, is a great deal considering all the features.

I don't think I own a scope for a high powered rifle that didn't run me at least $400. You will hear sales people suggest you spend twice the cost of the gun on glass. The less you spend on the gun the more likely you should take that advice.

hockeyjr1 06-18-2013 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a tc dimension rifle 2 months ago in 30-06.. It replaced my tc venture rifle.. Both are very accurate rifles. Garentee 1" moa and 100 yards..

The venture is 475 at any dicks sporting goods.. The dimension I got was 600 at my lgs.

They both only come in synthetic.
The dimension has the ability to change to 9 different calibers from the one you buy.. Certain parts work the same calibers too..

glewis 06-18-2013 06:12 PM

I would have mentioned the TC bolt guns I learned just yesterday on a competing website that there has been a recall on all TC bolt action rifles(except the precision hunter) that deals with the safety. If you access the TC website thru the S&W portal you can find it under the "recall notices". It's dated 6/14/13 and calls for the Icon, venture, dimension, even the warlord to be returned for inspection regarding this issue. Kinda bummed me out cause I've been real proud of my Icons and not afraid to mention it. Not real crazy about packaging up a gun to send off when I don't know for sure it has a problem.

Don't know if anyone has heard of this, but I'd be real interested in your opinions.

hockeyjr1 06-18-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glewis
I would have mentioned the TC bolt guns I learned just yesterday on a competing website that there has been a recall on all TC bolt action rifles(except the precision hunter) that deals with the safety. If you access the TC website thru the S&W portal you can find it under the "recall notices". It's dated 6/14/13 and calls for the Icon, venture, dimension, even the warlord to be returned for inspection regarding this issue. Kinda bummed me out cause I've been real proud of my Icons and not afraid to mention it. Not real crazy about packaging up a gun to send off when I don't know for sure it has a problem.

Don't know if anyone has heard of this, but I'd be real interested in your opinions.

I have too.. Waiting for the FedEx label to be emailed to me.. The lucky thing is the dimension is in pieces so that I only have to send in the receiver.. Saves me the headache of finding a big box..

Now this is the second time I sent a gun back to then for recall.. My venture also went back to them to fix too.. Everything was sorted out within a week and had the gun back..

This isn't a very big issue.. If you have the safety on and action the bolt it could take the gun off safe and be ready to fire.. I will never be doing this if I wasn't at a range anyways..