some burning newb questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > some burning newb questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berny2435 View Post
Thank you all for input.

As a Manufacturing Engineer in think from all angles so a gun that can do many things is something that I think I'd value more than something that is really only good for plinking, or taking down a dear or elk. I realize it's tough to get that one gun that can do it all and at an economic price level. I do realize it's allways best to use the right tool for the job at hand

Since I don't have the land to go shooting currently, I think I'd get a little bored with a 22lr although I know it's a great little gun for learning and such. I'm not throwing it out of the picture just yet, just trying to research what else is out there in a descent price range that can be somewhat versatile. I think the g/f would flip out if I braught home a AR15 or AK. Those might not be in the mix for a while. The Kel Tec SU-16 is probably pushing the limits of what she would have a conniption fit over.
I have plenty of centerfire rifles and the one gun that goes with me every single trip to the range is my Remington 511x 22lr. I mean every time I step out of the house towards the range it is right next to me in the car.

I have 2 223, 308, 30-06, 6.5x57mm 45acp 1911.

I have the following 22lrs.
Remington 511x
Remington 513t
Mossberg M46
Mossberg M44us
Marlin 81D
Ruger MkII
Beretta Neos

As you can see I have a good selection of rimfires. Never count out that a rimfire is just fun to shoot. I don't know but I never get tired of shooting rimfires. Oh I love my AR and my 308 but they are just not as much fun to shoot as my 22's.

I still say get the CMMG bargin bin flat top AR with a Yankee Hill Machine Flip-Up Rear Sight AR-15

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-11-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #12

do you have 8 grandchildren?

I'm considering a Ruger Mini 14 now. Appears to be a gun that I'd be proud to own and has some historical value for me. I use to love the A-team! I probably wont go for the tactical model though.

Seems like quotes are popular around here. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" "Igonrance is not bliss"

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #13

I didn't find any really nice Ruger Mini14s at the right price so I didn't buy at the gun show.

I got a Browning BL 22 grade II instead. "Supposedly" A 1975 model and never fired after purchase. Inside of barrel looks to need some cleaning so I will do that first before shooting.

Go here for more details on Me trying to research what year it really is
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/browning-bl-22-sn-question-29233/

pictures
Browning BL 22 pictures by pwrslide2 - Photobucket

Seems like quotes are popular around here. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" "Igonrance is not bliss"

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderfan View Post
I have never owned a CZ but 22mag doesn't pack that more punch than a normal .22lr.

Ummm. Like a 357 doesnt have much more over a 38?

22mag is a far cry from the 22lr.

OP- what did that BL22 cost, if you dont mind sharing?
Ive always been a fan of the Marlin 39A for a 22 levergun.

CZ 452 Lux is about the finest bolt action 22 you can find for a fair price, I had a Brooks trigger in mine, maybe a 10 oz pull. Damn shame I sold it, but I was offered $450.

I would have suggested an Ar15 with a 22lr conversion. Youd have had about $700-750 invested.

If your looking at a .30-30, you should be able to find a Marlin 336 or 30AS for $300 or under.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
OP- what did that BL22 cost, if you dont mind sharing?
Ive always been a fan of the Marlin 39A for a 22 levergun.

CZ 452 Lux is about the finest bolt action 22 you can find for a fair price, I had a Brooks trigger in mine, maybe a 10 oz pull. Damn shame I sold it, but I was offered $450.

I would have suggested an Ar15 with a 22lr conversion. Youd have had about $700-750 invested.

If your looking at a .30-30, you should be able to find a Marlin 336 or 30AS for $300 or under.
I was really looking for a lever action. For some reason they just appeal to me more than a T-bolt for a 22. I didn't find any nice Marlins at the show. Some nice Winchesters but the good lookin ones were priced too high.

If I get another 22, it will likely be a CZ452 lux like you said.

The guy was asking $650. I got it for $600 cash with 2 scope rings. I plan on shooting it ;-) unlike he did. Since it appears the SN has an error in it, I'm thinking I should have passed the deal up but I couldn't know that unless I brought some research papers with me or something. But it's not like you'd pay much less than $600 if you went online or to Cabellas and picked up a new or used one.
Cabela's -- Gun Details
Cabela's -- Gun Details

Only thing I want to do to it is put a little color on far sight so you can see it easier. The visibility of the site is one of the weaknesses of this lil classic.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Our very own CA57 has a nice Mini 14 for sale at a great price. Here is the link.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f41/mini-14-sale-29191/

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Our very own CA57 has a nice Mini 14 for sale at a great price. Here is the link.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f41/mini-14-sale-29191/
cool but the gun funds are gone for the time being. Next firearm related purchase will likely be a mini 14 or a XDm9. Might be a nice scope for this 22. just depends on how I like the iron sites on it.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Sounds like you're looking for either a .223 (probably an AR), or a .22 if you really want to do a LOT of shooting.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #19

spyderfan said it- Saiga, .223 for cheap, coyote, pig, um, Human, cartridge. Saiga .308 for deer, elk, moose, and um, again, Humans. And .308 is available from Silver Bear, but its not gonna be a target gun with that ammo. .223 is available from cheap Russian manufacturers too.
-Pistol. Well I bought a Taurus pt101 .40 S&W, for $299 at Academy, it was a Black Friday sell they had goin on for a LONG time after BF ended.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #20

fo sho. 223 is likely where it's at for me.