Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Socom ii is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Socom ii is it worth it?

I have always wanted an M1A rifle. Standard M1A is just to long for my taste but I do like the compact SOCOM II AND SOCOM 16. Are the SOCOMs just as good as the standard M1A or is it nothing like it. I also noticed the Scout Squad 18 inch barrel. That I am also considering.
I've read that the first models of the SOCOM 16 and SOCOM II had issues and were not even made by Springfield Armory but instead by some other sister company.
Does anyone have lots of knowledge regarding these rifles and have any input regarding the SOCOM II and which model to buy?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How about a scout?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The Socom is an excellent choice. I don't like the "deuce" as the rails and such add a lot of weight.

If you want a shorty you will like the Socom. Squad Scout is great too, though.

The bugs with the early Socoms were worked out years ago, and the lifetime SAI warranty is the best in the industry. Fast, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This rifle started out as a Socom II........

..........................................but I like it better set up like this now.

The rails gave it an awkward "front heavy" feel to it. It now feels like an M14/M1A should. After I sold the rails off, my financial end of the little rifle was what I feel they are worth.

I prefer the 18/18.5in bbbls myself.....

11B

Grunt

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #5

Awesome. I was looking at the Scout Squad the other day. I really like to have one of those someday. My local gun store finally got in the urban camo version of the Socom II but it does seem bulky.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter76 View Post
Awesome. I was looking at the Scout Squad the other day. I really like to have one of those someday. My local gun store finally got in the urban camo version of the Socom II but it does seem bulky.
Mine felt the same way until I removed the rails.

A buddy of mine had just returned from a deployment as I was getting ready to head out to where I'm at now. He showed up at the house with a Socom II in the urban camo furniture. He told me that his plan is to sell off the rails, add a small front sling swivel rail to it... (as the SOC II has the front sling swivel removed, or at least mine was like that...), and top it off with a Fulton Hand guard painted black. As for optics, he has decided on a Bassett mount, but last I spoke with him, he hadnt made up his mind on which type yet.

As for me, I really am impressed with the 18is in bbls for the M1A/M14, but also enjoy the compact Socom. My solution was to utilize an SEI gas lock front sight along with thier Vortex direct connect flash hider. I end up with the 18in bbl, and a very close OAL compared to the Socom.

This pic is a "front end" comparison of an M1A-A1 Bush rifle, next to the SEI front end sitting on another 18 ish in bbl. I lined them up as best I could to show the differences in OAL, and sight radius.

Note: The Bush rifle and the Scout will be virtually the same regarding OAL/sight rad.

Note: The SEI front end in this pic is the hooded/HnK type, but they also produce a dovetail version that allows you to utilize the existing front sight that is already on a Scout, or any other dovetail designed M1A/M14 front sight of correct heigth.

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 11-30-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had a Scout for about 5 years. Turner's had them on sale for $1200 when the SOCOM was new and they wanted $1600 for the SOCOM. I shot it sans optics for a couple of years( I really like peep sights) But old eyes needed opitcs so I added a small Swarovsky on a Broadmore steel base( very solid)it Shoots sweet and balances well. I like it better than a full length M1A and I don't like all the rails on the SOCOMs they seem to throw the balance all off. I KNOW when i take that shot with my Scout it's a bullseye (faith from experience). Get a Scout save a couple bucks and get the better rifle ( sorry SOCOM fans)

Noblesse Oblige

Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubshooter View Post
I've had a Scout for about 5 years. Turner's had them on sale for $1200 when the SOCOM was new and they wanted $1600 for the SOCOM. I shot it sans optics for a couple of years( I really like peep sights) But old eyes needed opitcs so I added a small Swarovsky on a Broadmore steel base( very solid)it Shoots sweet and balances well. I like it better than a full length M1A and I don't like all the rails on the SOCOMs they seem to throw the balance all off. I KNOW when i take that shot with my Scout it's a bullseye (faith from experience). Get a Scout save a couple bucks and get the better rifle ( sorry SOCOM fans)
Not all SOCOMs have rails!

So how is the Scout better than the SOCOM? Is it better balanced than this?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The Socom 2 (Deuce) has the rails, and they are removable.

A Scout length with an SEI muzzle break or DC Vortex will end up almost 1.5" longer than a Socom. Not a big deal to a lot of people, but a very big deal when dismounting vehicles and such. For a very tall person who want to carry the rifle by the grip, muzzle down, and does not want the muzzle to touch the ground that Scout works great. For someone under 6' who wants to do that, the Socom is a better choice.

I had a Socom and loved it. No issues with anything about it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #10

Both are fantastic rifles.

You just need to figure out what works best for you. The last post is a perfect example.

Either weapon you buy will be a darn good one.

I'm on a limited income, but put money away for a Springfield every month, soon I'll have one of my own.

Best battle rifle evey made.

John K