So you want more than a factory rifle.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > So you want more than a factory rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default So you want more than a factory rifle.

Ok So you have a few factory rifles and they are good shooters. But you want a dead nuts accurate rifle that put the bullet where you tell it to every time. The problem is you don't know how much it is going to cost.

Well I spend lots of time devoted to fictional rifle builds.

Remington 700.
You are going to have to get the action blue printed. Your going to need to need a lot of action work. This is not just Remington your going to need it on just about any factory action weather it is a Howa Savage Remington or a Sako. Every factory action can be made a little better.

There is a place to have that done called Hill Country Rifles. A accurizing job on a non-magnum is running $450 right now. Not bad really when you look at what they do and what they say are the end results. Now not everything they do is what needs to be done. If you wanted to build a rifle in stages this is a stage 1 to me. If will make your factory rifle shoot much better. They use factory ammo and built it to that so if you don't reload then then may be all that you need to do. If you reload and you want your rifle set to one specific load of your own choosing then that can be done too. Mainly having the throat set for a specific bullet.

Stage 2 would be to replace the barrel, tuen the bolt lugs and the action lugs for 100% contact, and or change the chambering of the rile. the nice thing about this is if you start with a 308 you have hundreds of rounds that will take the .473" bolt face. Maybe you want the same caliber just an improved case like a 260 rem and now you want a 260 Ackly Improved. A rebarrel job will do that or if you have a 26" barrel have it set back an inch or two and rechambered. Either way it will cost about the same maybe a little for because of the cost of a new barrel.
Rifle Accurizing Services | Hill Country Rifles

Speaking of barrels which one to choose there are hundreds of barrel makers out there. Then you have different twist rates different types of rifling from 3 4 5 or 6 grove I have even heard of 2 groove rifling now you can add in 5r rifles Some barrel makers offer what they call ratchet rifling where one side of the land is slightly taller than the other. Then toss on hammer forged button rifled and cut rifling. Which is best? Who knows. Kreiger cut rifled barrels win just as much as a Hart or Shilen button rifled barrel in the bench rest world. So say button is better because it helps harden the boar and that helps reduce fouling. Some say cut rifling is better because it doesn't add any stress to a barrel. I prefer cut rifling but that is me.

Stocks we all know that low end Chinese plastic stocks coming out today for factory rifles are far from after market stocks. The better the stock the better the rifle will shoot. You have wood, laminate wood, fiber glass and composite with a aluminum bedding system. You have metal (Unlimited class bench guns and the such). You should match the stock to the type of shooting your guns is going to be used for. A McMillan Edge stock is not an ideal hunting stock nor is a fancy wood hunting style stock make a good bench gun stock.

First thing I would do it find the smith you are going to use and talk to him. Ask him questions. Tell him what you are looking for and if he says don't do that like going in and saying I got a 03a3 action I want to make a 22 hornet out of it. He I hope would say here this action is a better choice for this project.

To be continued.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Hell of a post here Tango. Thanks for the info.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

OK to continue on with this thread.

So you want a better rifle.

Starting with a Rem700 for $450 you can get a decent shooter to shoot better. then you step up to a full blueprint job and a new barrel. Your talking about another $700 to $900 depending on area and amount of work that needs to be done. You are going to want to either piller or glass bed your action in the stock or get a stock with a aluminum bedding block molded into the stock. Never forget to get a good trigger. There are a few makers out there but If you have rifles with factory triggers never ever buy a Jewell trigger. Jewell triggers will forever spoil you as they are hands down the best triggers out there. fully adjustable creep, over travel, weight. They break like glass and work all the time.

In all you are going to spend up to $1500 to $2000 dollars for a total semicustom rifle package. You then need to add optics to that. I don't know about you but for a $2000 rifle I am not going to be going with my beloved Nikon scope. I am going with a nice Leupold or other high end scope even a nightforce or Sightron SIII.

Savage will cut your smithing cost down but your still going to be spending upwards of $2000 for a rifle built on a factory action. The best thing about savage is that you can for the most part built it yourself with a few special tool and some headspace gauges.

The nice thing about Remington, Savage, and Howa are you can buy actions barreled actions or complete rifles and go from there.

The last Savage build I priced was going to come in right at $3000. I used the savage dual port solid bottom action with a SS match grade barrel in 6mm Dasher a McMillan F-Class Stock and a Nightforce scope in Nightforce rings on a 20 MOA base.

No Kelbly's can build you a custom rifle for $3k to $3250 if you have a mag fed rifle. Not bad really for a Custom action and work.

Welcome to Kelbly's

It all depends on what you want.