So much for free floating
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > So much for free floating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default So much for free floating

Recently I picked up a Springfield, Model 84c-. It looked like it lived in someones trunk for a while but the price was right and I needed a project. I took it to the range as it was when I got it and the first 10 rounds I put through it looked like this;
target-before.jpg

Then I thought "wow" not too shabby I bet, if I free float the barrel it would even shoot better so I did. Couldn't wait to see how great it would shoot. after that little outing I kicked myself in the a$$ for not leaving it alone,
target-after.jpg

I am now thinking about putting something under the barrel at the end of the forearm about the thickness of a matchbook to put a slight amount of pressure back on the barrel.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed even if they are negative. I have broad shuolders!
springfield-84c.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

That is a 22lr right?

If so I bet it only has one action screw. If it has a place big enough for a second action screw then you can get one added that may help the free float problem. You may also want to take a little wood out of the stock infront of the action and bed the action. then you can add a small pad of bedding material in the fore end to add pressure to the barrel.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #3

Default Tanks Tango

Sounds like a plan. I need some bedding experience. Its been about 40 years since I've done it and I have a few I'd like to bed. "So much bedding, So little time"
What kind of a group would be acceptable for this gun or should I say what would be good for this gun. I shot my BLR 22lr at the same trip to the range and it didnt compare to the Springfield. How much shooting do you have to do to shoot in a new gun (breakin)

Norman Schwarzkopf It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-18-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #4

I think tango is right. When you floated the barrel it allowed the receiver to drift in the stock. I think 3lbs. upward pressure was what was used on the rifle stock. Put the rifle upside down in a gun vise and hang a 3lb weight off the end of the barrel. If the rear of the receiver is not firmly pressed against the stock, then that answers the question of what is really going on with your rifle. Make sure the rear of the receiver is firmly seated in the stock. Measure the clearance between the barrel and the forend then bed a pressure point at the front of the stock to correspond to the measurement you took. As tango said, another screw in the rear tang coupled with a good bedding job would probably help out a lot. I use Acraglas and it comes with instructions that are very clear.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:15 AM   #5

As it was it was shooting a 1 inch group at 25 yds, its over 60 years old and feels nice except the trigger. OK glass the action and maybe the first 6 or so inches of the barrel chanel. or glass the receiver only and try to match the origional stock pressure on the barrel. Adding another action screw is a possibility if it is mechanically feasable. At this point it is a case of a slightly astute gun owner trying to polish a turd that has potential.
it may have been better to leave well enough alone but now I'd like to get it back to at least where it was. I asked for a project now I have one. It still shoots beter than the BLR, but that is probably not shot in yet. Anybody interested in a pristine Browning lever action bought in 1997 with about 120 rnds. shot through it, in the box?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-19-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't despair if a certain barrel (usually sporter weight) requires forend pressure to dampen harmonic vibration-it's common. You just have to experiment until you find the "sweet spot".

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #7

Default May have found the Problem

It seems that when I floated the barrel I removed just enough material to let the receiver lug bottom out before the action is snug to the stock. Also the lug is dovetailed to the barrel and it is loose enough to fall off the barrel when it is not tightened to the stock. That makes me wonder if there is movement at that point when the gun is fired. You would think a 22LR wouldn't have enough recoil to cause it to move but I have to decide how to tighten the dovetail, probably a piece of .005 shim stock between the barrel and the lug.
I will then remove about 1/32 inch of material from under the lug in the stock, then shim the end of the barrel channel at the front end. After that its back to the range.

Here is a picture of the lug that falls out of the dovetail.
sp-act.jpg

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-19-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #8

It'll be a lot quicker & easier to peen the dovetail "ears" VERY SLIGHTLY down in order to tighten the dovetail groove so that the lug fits tight in it-just like a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
It seems that when I floated the barrel I removed just enough material to let the receiver lug bottom out before the action is snug to the stock. Also the lug is dovetailed to the barrel and it is loose enough to fall off the barrel when it is not tightened to the stock. That makes me wonder if there is movement at that point when the gun is fired. You would think a 22LR wouldn't have enough recoil to cause it to move but I have to decide how to tighten the dovetail, probably a piece of .005 shim stock between the barrel and the lug.
I will then remove about 1/32 inch of material from under the lug in the stock, then shim the end of the barrel channel at the front end. After that its back to the range.

Here is a picture of the lug that falls out of the dovetail.
Attachment 8886

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #9

Thanks Bear.
I assume you mean on the lug and not the barrel.

Paul.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #10

I'm talking about peening the front/rear of the barrel very slightly to tighten up the lug.