So the Army just bought a few of these......

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > So the Army just bought a few of these......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default So the Army just bought a few of these......

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/16/us-military-begins-testing-smart-rifles/

and I had never heard of them before after what I have read they said out of over 100 inexperienced shooters(Mostly media people) only 2 people missed a 1,000 yard shot. So I started looking at the website and they are also making AR's in 5.56 and .300 AAC with this tech I am getting all excited now lol. Here is a link to the 338 LM they have. Plus they are based in Austin, TX about 2 hours north of me I gotta see if they have a showroom and check it out.

http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms/xs1

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

What is going to happen is battlefield technology will be geared towards disabling smart weapons first. After the field is level we are back to who has the best trained people with regular rifles and kentucky windage because all electronics will be dead. If we ever go to war with a country that has a plan to win the war they will kill all of our electronics on day one. Many of our soldiers have not used anything that is not aided by electronics since AIT. This is a step in the wrong direction.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 49

its cool tech though I understand emp attacks i am prior service Army so I know stuff can be hardened against it. I just think its pretty neat that they can take that many inexperienced people and get a 99% first shot hit on 1,000 yard target.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1310 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 1373

Now thats just great, now our military is going to be using a rifle that can be HACKED !....................

When all else fails.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Soon they'll come up with a "rifle" that fires "meat-seeking missiles"...

Old 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Frag grenades work just fine and don't require a pin and password to operate it.....lol

I cant speak for every unit in the Army, but not all of them depend totally on technology to shoot, move, and communicate.
The high tech stuff may make for a better news story, but it hasn't replaced boots on the ground as of yet.
FWIW..... The rifle I was using on my last excursion overseas was built in 1963, and it worked just as well....optics or not.

With that said, I don't mind it at all when a USAF J-TAC calls in a fast mover to deliver high tech destruction upon an enemy we have managed to fix in place.

Until they make a "Terminator" to replace us, we still have job security in the Infantry.....lol

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 01-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 509

It's very cool that we can actually do this, but ultimately training and far simpler technology will win out against technology that requires batteries and a lot of user training in order to maximize the results of the new technology.

The military has developed a shooting technique that enables them to essentially shoot through something not much larger than the bullet going through it. That's game changing capability. When a sniper can hide behind something that will stop a bullet and yet shoot through something a little bigger than a bullet and effectively engage the enemy, that's the type of technology that our enemies should fear.

Not that it matters much, given the weight and power consumption requirements of the scope, but Trijicon already has a better product. Kinda interesting that their continuously computed impact point products haven't received the same attention that this company is getting, but their optics are fixed 6X. Better for heavy machine guns than sniping rifles.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6664 Times on 3340 Posts
Likes Given: 7198

I love the idea of smart guns, not ready to make them the standard issue yet or soon but they are key to us staying ahead of China and Soviet technology advances. Wonder if you can own one in NY legally (not that you can get a 1000yard shot in ny)? Prolly not cause thats a whole lot more troublesome for politicians and others with SS police protection than a 3o round mag in an AR!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

technology is great as long as it suppliments the soldier and isn't a substitute. a soldier still needs to learn the fundamentals in case they have equipment failure. in combat, there is always the possiblity of equipment failure due to many causes. a soldier who can adapt to changing battlefield and combat conditions will prevail over those who can't or don't.