Sniper/Target Build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sniper/Target Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sniper/Target Build

Not quite a "varmint rifle" because of the caliber, basically similar to the military M-40.

I found a NEW Rem. 700P ("Police" Remington Law Enforcement - Rifles - Model 700P Standard)

"The standard Model 700P features an H-S Precision® composite stock reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar and fiberglass. They'll stay dimensionally stable in any weather and under the worst tactical situations. The stock is laid up around an aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block that runs up the entire length of the receiver. It has a textured, black, non-reflective finish and comes with sling swivel studs."

700P .308 Win. 9lbs 26" bbl. 12" twist 4 rd. mag. cap.

Ordered a Leupold® Mark 2™ Long Range/Tactical Riflescope from Cabela's

1/4 MOA "clicks" 6-18X power Matte Mil-dot 40mm objective 4.7"-3.7" eye relief 13.5" length 14.5oz. 14.5'-6.6' Field of view @ 100 yds.

4" Leupold Lens Shade

Leupold Matte Ring Base

Leupold Matte Low Rings

Leupold Neoprene scope cover

I have a two rifle large alum. carry case, and slings coming out my ears.

I have a Caldwell Rock bench rest. I'm going to pass on the Harris bipod.

Orded a .308 cal. mandrel for my Sinclair Neck Turning Tool.

We have the primer pocket reamer, primer hole reamer, case trimmer, deburring tools, digital scales . . .

Last time I was doing this on a Rem. 700 PSS in .223 Ackley, I was getting 0.22 MOA at 100 yds off the bench, when the weather was right.

Here's a FIVE SHOT group on a 1" dia. circle from those days. I need to get back at it.

group-copy2.jpg  

Last edited by SlamFire; 03-22-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: image size

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very, Very nice!! I want one!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #3

I have about $1,800.00 into it so far, not counting the stuff I already owned. I try to think of it as part of the Economic Stimulus Program.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Looks like it is going to be a shooter.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #5

OK, update here . . .

Went to the shop to get the rifle. Belinda (she's a gun nut, seriously knows her stuff) has this rig all set up "custom" . . . Rem. 700P in 308 Win, but instead of the Leupold Mark 2 at about $650, she's mounted a Leupold Mark 4 Long Range/Tactical, at more like $1,200, and Mark 4 Rings/Base, scope hood.

One of the most advanced optical systems in the industry. All tactical scopes boast features that make these scopes some of the best available. Multi-Coat 4® or Index Matched lens coatings result in exceptional clarity and definition for optimal viewing. Target-style 1/4-MOA click adjustment windage and elevation dials on all but the LRPR models make these scopes easily adaptable to any shooting application - particularly long-range conditions. The LRPR scope models have Leupold's PR (Precision Rifle) finger-adjustable turret knobs. The PR knobs offer the advantages of the adjustable windage and elevation, but at a lesser cost. An all-matte finish including the objective ring provide a subdued look that is less visible to game while delivering an aesthetically pleasing appearance that will accent any firearm. Each scope is nitrogen filled and sealed with Leupold's proven process to keep out moisture making them completely waterproof. Most importantly, these scopes truly deliver all the ruggedness and dependability that you expect from Leupold. An incredible balance of price and performance. Backed by Leupold's full lifetime warranty.

6.5 - 20x 50 mm objective Mil Dot . . .

So instead of about $1,700 on the rig I was going to set up, this one ran me $2,670.00

-- And the &%&#$% . . . state delayed my NICS!

There's no reason, except a gun show in town and it took 15 min to get past the phone busy signal and into the queue to stand in line to wait another 20 min. to run the NICS.

And locally, probably thanks to Obama et Cie . . . No large rifle primers, no 308 cal. bullets, brass is hard to find, I got the last set of dies in the area . . .

Let me put in this political commentary --

The Founding Fathers provided RKBA so that Americans can arm up against a tyrannical govt. And the first act of tyranny would be to take the guns away -- or die trying.

Semper Fi!

"Come and try to take them away . . . "

Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

That is a big leap in glass. How do you like it?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #7

The glass looks good. I have three other Leupold scopes, and Leupold is hot about customer service. (Had a comment about the data on their website and I had their catalog two days later in the mail. Asked about replacement "knob covers" and they sent me six: two gloss, two matte, two silver.)

NICS -- Oregon State Police here -- has my check "delayed" and the date for release is set at April 24. There's no reason for it. I bought a rifle for my nephew in November and they have a record that it was approved.

Oregon State Police, Firearms Records Div. "These records are exempt from public access." OK, on the one hand I appreciate that my purchases are not "public record." On the other hand, if there's an error in the records I want to know what it is and have the error corrected. I've had "error" in their records before.

I plan to contact Oregon State Police tomorrow (3-23-09) about the records and the delays I've been getting lately. NRA might be interested in "recourse to delay in NICS" and "review/correction of NICS data files." When it works it's fine. When it SNAFU's . . . it's a clusterduck.

While we're waiting, I loaded 100 pcs once fired Federal Match brass w/ Hodgdon 4895, Federal 210 "large rifle" primers, and 150 gr. Hornandy boat-tails.

Here's a photo of my previous Rem. 700P, from about 8 yrs ago. Out in Central Oregon. I have a keen desire to get back out there. Better bench now, Caldwell Rock rest, and I found an adj. stool that serves better than the bucket.

The fenceline here runs along a gravel, river access road, out in the middle of nowhere. Run down the road and pick a spot for range, backstop is a rise/hill and ODOT gravel dump. I can get 1,000 metres easy here.

Dying to get back out there . . . but it still freezes overnight.

benchscape-copy.jpg  

Last edited by SlamFire; 03-22-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #8

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm a die hard fan of Leupold glass as well. I'm using the MK4 8.5-25 X 50mm ER/T M1 for my 1000 yard target rifle build. I find with my ageing eyes that Leupold scopes have much better light gathering abilities than other comperable brand scopes. Their warranty and customer service is excellent and goes a long way in justifying the price of these level of scopes.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

APRIL 24th??????? You don't mean March 24th? They are NOT allowed federally to delay them THAT much (a month).

Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

that would suck. i would be pretty irate if i had to wait

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you