Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Sniper Rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/sniper-rifles-254/)

kylie 05-06-2007 10:05 PM

Sniper Rifles

Let's start a sniper rifle discussion.

Lots of topics to cover;

- What Caliber
- What Gun
- What Stock
- What Scope

What is your preference for the above? Feel free to add other items to list as well.

Splatter 05-06-2007 10:42 PM

Depends completely on application. Do you need extreme reach? Because a .50 at close range will draw fire like fresh turds draw flies. But asking your 5.56 to connect at 1500m is like wishing for your enemy to be struck by lightning.

Is it a TEOTWAWKI situation and it'll be defensive sniping?
A municipal police situation where the likelyhood of a shot over 100m aproaches zero?

GUNGIRL 05-07-2007 03:23 AM

right now..if I had to depend on anything it would be my 7.62X51 M14A(diff from a M1A) and the also my 76254 Romak with russian PSOP scope.

EagleSix 05-10-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylie (Post 919)
Let's start a sniper rifle discussion.

Lots of topics to cover;

- What Caliber
- What Gun
- What Stock
- What Scope

What is your preference for the above? Feel free to add other items to list as well.

As Splatter pointed out, your scope for this discussion is a bit broad. You may want to consider focusing a narrow beam by selected a topic and mission/application.

For example accuracy is usually a heated topic, although there is another thread started by survivalnut on that subject already. Perhaps application would be a good focus to start with. I doubt there are too many former or current military or police snipers here, so maybe civilian snipers?

Iím not sure why civilians would want to have sniper guns or want to be sniper trained, but I like to hear from those that do.

Please donít get me wrong, Iím not against any lawful American owning a rifle suitable for sniping (many already do) and Iím not against lawful Americans being sniper trained (many of them already are from their military or law enforcement careers). In fact in the past seven years I have trained many civilians as well as some military and police officers in the craft of sniping.

But you know I never asked a civilian student why. If they had the proper credentials and passed the background check I enrolled them in class. Now, even though I have a pretty good idea why, Iíd like to hear from civilians why they like to have a rifle for sniping, and/or why they are/or would like to be sniper trained.

Brent L 05-28-2007 10:13 PM

Spot on Eagle Six! If we could just get these "test posters" to narrow the questions.

Pardon my partial rant. I'm moving my comments to the " Range ".

BrassMonkey 05-29-2007 05:12 AM

While my intentions for owning it are not to be used for sniping my Remington 700 in .308 would be more than up to the task out to 500 yards and beyond.

BLS33 05-29-2007 02:57 PM

Well I consider sniping shooting long distances from a concealed position,I don't really do any shooting from a concealed position. (whats the point) If I had to choose one of my guns and make it a "sniper" rifle it would be my German K98.

Recon 173 04-20-2008 05:57 PM

When most civilians talk about sniping they are really trying to say very accurate shooting techniques. Most people study sniping to try to get to be good shots. They are not interested in assassination shooting or cold blooded murder. They want to be able to hit a target way out there "just in case." America has always been the home of the best riflemen in the world and many still want to learn the craft for the fun of it. Oh... And 7.62 NATO rifles with scopes are my personal favorites. That National Match ammo is just so good for dropping bad guys or wild pigs...

kirby62 04-20-2008 08:52 PM

Right on Recon! I enjoy shooting at long distances because it's a challenge.
I think it's fair to say if your not hunting, you want to shoot longer the better

I like my AR-10 .308 w/ Leopuld LR 3x25 for "sniping". It has a CAA tactial stock with an adjustable cheek piece.

cpttango30 04-22-2008 12:16 PM

A sniper rifle is basicly a heavy barreld more accurate rifle. HUH Look at that the VARMINT rifles from the factory are just that. Granted a REAL military sniper rifle has to go threw serious crap in its life.

Me. If i were going to build one.

Rem 700 Action blueprinted sleved with a Krieger barrel in 308 win all sitting in a McMillian A-5 stock topped with a Lupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm ER/T M1 Front Focal Riflescope and a Jewell trigger. Then I would have the whole thing painted OD GREEN with a few black and brown spots. No I do not want any of that digital camo it sucks and looks like CRAP. I would also add a quality leather sling and Buttler Creek scope caps and a Harris S series bi-pod. I would also have the barrel threaded for a suppressor. I know it will not take away all the sound but it sure will make it harder for the Commie troops to find me after I take out Da Furrer Hilliary Clinton.

For over 1500m I would use the same set up just in a 338EDGE. (300 RUM necked up to 338).