Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Snap Caps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Snap Caps

If I was to dry fire with my snap caps in place does this decrease the likelihood of things on my gun breaking from the dry firing?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To me that is the main purpose of the snap caps. They allow for the firearm to be dry fired without damaging the firing pin. They are also used to allow firearm familiarization handling.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Snap Caps

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Yes, I agree with what the other fellow said, Snap caps, by thier very invention, were to allow them to be cycled into the action, the firing pin to be protected by the firing pin hitting the spring loaded fake cartridge, I have a few in 45 acp as well as 22 LR, have made some in 308, as well as 3006 by re-loading a spent shell in my reloadr, inserting a new bullet, I add a dab of Silicone cement instead of a Primer, works just as well as a spring loaded snap cap and is tons cheaper! If you re-load the shell as you would a live round, leave out the powder and Primer it can be safely loaded and fired and protect your weapon, just as a snap cap!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #4

This is an argument that's as old as mud. Over twenty years ago the feeling was you could dry fire firearms without damage to them. Fast forward to the present and it's generally considered a good idea to use snap caps. Twenty years from now.....