To Snake or Rod? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > To Snake or Rod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Get an otis system. It is small enough for the field/ range, and all the brass attachments fit a rod for home use. The coated cables it comes w/ allow you to clean towards the muzzle on semi's so you are not dragging crap into the action.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Look how many times will you run a dirty patch down your bore? NEVER. You use a patch and throw it away. Why on earth would you run a dirty bore snake down your barrel?

Bore snakes are for people who are too lazy to clean a gun the right way. If you are that lazy why even shoot.

Sorry I can't stand by and let this go on.

BAN BORE SNAKES.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Look how many times will you run a dirty patch down your bore? NEVER. You use a patch and throw it away. Why on earth would you run a dirty bore snake down your barrel?

Bore snakes are for people who are too lazy to clean a gun the right way. If you are that lazy why even shoot.

BAN BORE SNAKES.
hush tango, sometimes I wish I could wad my panties up and shove 'em in your mouth.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies, knew I could count on y'all.

I can see both sides to the bore snake debate but Tango does make a good point. Surely after one pass it will contaminated with crud and dirt that can be spread further rather than removed in the first place? Maybe for one pass in the field to keep you shooting a little longer okay, but I like the look of that Patch Worm, think I'll have to get myself one of those and some extra patches for range cleaning. Then the rod, brush, mop deal for the proper clean up in the mans room downstairs. Basement guys, not what some of you were thinking!

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5688 Times on 2972 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:

BAN BORE SNAKES.
snakes work fine. a bore doesnt have to be spotless and eaten off of to be clean. most of us are not anal retentive benchrest shooters who clean a weapon for an hour after each shot. bore snakes work best when combined with one piece rods and regular brushes. they do most of the work loosening the crud so one or two swipes with a patch gets it all clean.

you buy a new brush each time you use one for every swipe in the barrel with a brush?? they get just as dirty or do you clean each bristle after ever swipe??

its a tool like any other proper use for what it is designed for.

me i dont like sitting there swabbing a barrel with patch after patch when i can run a solvent patch let it sit then run a snake through 3 or 4 times then a patch and i got a clean barrel.

saves on patch use and like all things they cost money. savings in using a snake to knock stuff loose over time is hefty as i used to go through bags and bags of cleaning patches. now its like a year or more between bags where i used to buy 30 or 40 bags a year. snakes worthless?? no not by any stretch.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I do clean my brush after I use it. Once i scrub the bore I flush it with gun scrubber or break clean. Then I put it back clean with patches and then do it all over again.

My rimfires and my 308 never see brushes though.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use both. Snake for quick cleaning in the field, rod for a more thorough cleaning at home. If you use a rod, make sure it is a one piece, carbon fiber, and insert it into the bore from the breech. Especially with a .17, there isn't a lot of room for the rod to flex, so care must be used to avoid damaging the lands & grooves. Joints on 3 piece rods can flex and gouge.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Last edited by pioneer461; 01-20-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
my hubby cleans our weapons and he uses both. (I am QUITE capable I just work smarter not harder) He has some ultimate system down. I know he uses the bore snake in the middle of the season when its only 24 hours between time in the woods shooting.
Jess,

You and I think alike. He cleans our weapons and I get paid to clean the ones at work.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post

You wouldn't wipe yer crack with the same paper. Boresnake is the same idea.
HAHAHAHA very well put.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."