Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > To Snake or Rod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default To Snake or Rod?

Looking for some advice or recommendations from you more experienced gun owners about cleaning a rifle, do you prefer a bore snake or the rod, brass and patch method?

I need to pick up some supplies so I can keep my new rifle as clean on the inside as it is on the outside so what should I pick up?

Do I just go for one of the many kits that contain the rods, brass, mop and patch etc, or am I better off with a bore snake and the cleaning fluid, if so which do you recomend?

Advice appreciated.

If it helps the rifle is a .17HMR

oh and I already know WD40 is a no no. Picked that up pretty quickly reading this forum

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

i use both. the rods are good for running solvent soaked patch up the bore. the snakes are fanatastic for follow ups and work exceptionally well on rifles like 10/22's that have to be cleaned from teh muzzle saves wear ont he crown.

snakes are bad for chamber cleaning your still gonna need a rod and chamber brush but they are real labor savers on the bore itself.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Bore snakes are WORTHLESS IN MY EYES.

they are only good for one draw then all your doing is smearing dirt and grim in your action, chamber and barrel. Bore snakes don't fit tight in the bore to help get the lead or copper out of the groves nor do they scrub at all. I had one used it once then I went back and check it with a rod and jag I got 10 times the amount of fouling and grim out of my barrel.

Get a good quality one piece rod for cleaning at home and get a patch puller for in the field.

If you use on of the following devices then you don't have to clean your gun from the muzzle. They cost more but they are worth every penny over one of them worthless no good filthy snakes.

Patch Worm or Otis.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Don't worry,Tango is just a little biased about alot of things.
Boresnakes are great to use in the field/range if your firearm gets dirty from shooting too many rds,but there is nothing like a good cleaning with brushes,bore cleaner,and patches. To really clean your gun completely you will also need to learn how to field stip it so you can also clean all the gunk out of the action,bolt,and trigger assembly and you can't do that with a boresnake.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 AM   #5

I snake at the range and rod at home...

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Bore snakes are great in the field where there's no room for a cleaning kit, but to properly clean I say a one piece cleaning rod is a must. Also beyond field stripping a detailed breakdown every so often is needed to truly maintain a firearm. This too requires more cleaning implements such as chamber brushes, dental picks, channel/action brushes, etc.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

If ya need a rod you are to late cause if ya use a snake you are to late. Granted rod's rule but snakes are great.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Bore snakes are WORTHLESS IN MY EYES.

they are only good for one draw then all your doing is smearing dirt and grim in your action, chamber and barrel. Bore snakes don't fit tight in the bore to help get the lead or copper out of the groves nor do they scrub at all. I had one used it once then I went back and check it with a rod and jag I got 10 times the amount of fouling and grim out of my barrel.

Get a good quality one piece rod for cleaning at home and get a patch puller for in the field.

If you use on of the following devices then you don't have to clean your gun from the muzzle. They cost more but they are worth every penny over one of them worthless no good filthy snakes.

Patch Worm or Otis.
good gawd, I cant believe Im going to say this but.... +1

You wouldn't wipe yer crack with the same paper. Boresnake is the same idea.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
brass and patch method?
I use a plastic brush with copper cleaner, let it sit for no more than 15 minutes, then follow with a patch until copper free. I don't use too strong of a copper cleaner all the time but will use a strong one every once in a great while just in case I am missing some.

A plastic brush instead of a patch because you need air to get to the copper also, or the solvent will not work as well. At least that is what I was told and it works well for me.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #10

my hubby cleans our weapons and he uses both. (I am QUITE capable I just work smarter not harder) He has some ultimate system down. I know he uses the bore snake in the middle of the season when its only 24 hours between time in the woods shooting.