Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   To Snake or Rod? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/snake-rod-22380/)

Wheelspin 01-20-2010 02:24 AM

To Snake or Rod?

Looking for some advice or recommendations from you more experienced gun owners about cleaning a rifle, do you prefer a bore snake or the rod, brass and patch method?

I need to pick up some supplies so I can keep my new rifle as clean on the inside as it is on the outside so what should I pick up?

Do I just go for one of the many kits that contain the rods, brass, mop and patch etc, or am I better off with a bore snake and the cleaning fluid, if so which do you recomend?

Advice appreciated.

If it helps the rifle is a .17HMR

oh and I already know WD40 is a no no. Picked that up pretty quickly reading this forum :p

JonM 01-20-2010 02:38 AM

i use both. the rods are good for running solvent soaked patch up the bore. the snakes are fanatastic for follow ups and work exceptionally well on rifles like 10/22's that have to be cleaned from teh muzzle saves wear ont he crown.

snakes are bad for chamber cleaning your still gonna need a rod and chamber brush but they are real labor savers on the bore itself.

cpttango30 01-20-2010 02:48 AM

Bore snakes are WORTHLESS IN MY EYES.

they are only good for one draw then all your doing is smearing dirt and grim in your action, chamber and barrel. Bore snakes don't fit tight in the bore to help get the lead or copper out of the groves nor do they scrub at all. I had one used it once then I went back and check it with a rod and jag I got 10 times the amount of fouling and grim out of my barrel.

Get a good quality one piece rod for cleaning at home and get a patch puller for in the field.

If you use on of the following devices then you don't have to clean your gun from the muzzle. They cost more but they are worth every penny over one of them worthless no good filthy snakes.

Patch Worm or Otis.

Txhillbilly 01-20-2010 03:20 AM

Don't worry,Tango is just a little biased about alot of things.
Boresnakes are great to use in the field/range if your firearm gets dirty from shooting too many rds,but there is nothing like a good cleaning with brushes,bore cleaner,and patches. To really clean your gun completely you will also need to learn how to field stip it so you can also clean all the gunk out of the action,bolt,and trigger assembly and you can't do that with a boresnake.

Zacsquatch 01-20-2010 04:05 AM

I snake at the range and rod at home...

NYPD13 01-20-2010 04:16 AM

Bore snakes are great in the field where there's no room for a cleaning kit, but to properly clean I say a one piece cleaning rod is a must. Also beyond field stripping a detailed breakdown every so often is needed to truly maintain a firearm. This too requires more cleaning implements such as chamber brushes, dental picks, channel/action brushes, etc.

od green 01-20-2010 04:38 AM

If ya need a rod you are to late cause if ya use a snake you are to late. Granted rod's rule but snakes are great.

hillbilly68 01-20-2010 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 215501)
Bore snakes are WORTHLESS IN MY EYES.

they are only good for one draw then all your doing is smearing dirt and grim in your action, chamber and barrel. Bore snakes don't fit tight in the bore to help get the lead or copper out of the groves nor do they scrub at all. I had one used it once then I went back and check it with a rod and jag I got 10 times the amount of fouling and grim out of my barrel.

Get a good quality one piece rod for cleaning at home and get a patch puller for in the field.

If you use on of the following devices then you don't have to clean your gun from the muzzle. They cost more but they are worth every penny over one of them worthless no good filthy snakes.

Patch Worm or Otis.

good gawd, I cant believe Im going to say this but.... +1

You wouldn't wipe yer crack with the same paper. Boresnake is the same idea.

The_Kid 01-20-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelspin (Post 215466)
brass and patch method?

I use a plastic brush with copper cleaner, let it sit for no more than 15 minutes, then follow with a patch until copper free. I don't use too strong of a copper cleaner all the time but will use a strong one every once in a great while just in case I am missing some.

A plastic brush instead of a patch because you need air to get to the copper also, or the solvent will not work as well. At least that is what I was told and it works well for me.

Jess 01-20-2010 11:47 AM

my hubby cleans our weapons and he uses both. (I am QUITE capable I just work smarter not harder) He has some ultimate system down. I know he uses the bore snake in the middle of the season when its only 24 hours between time in the woods shooting.