Smooth out mosin nagant action

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Smooth out mosin nagant action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Smooth out mosin nagant action

I got a mosin nagant not too long ago and I plan on taking it out this week. I already clean all the cosmoline out but the action is still kind of stiff. I know that mosin actions aren't know for being silky smooth and mine isn't super stuff, but I feel it could be better. To give you an idea, I can't lift the bolt handle while I have the rifle shouldered. I don't have to smack the bolt to open it, but I do have to lower it to my hip. So any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #2

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A little graphite goes a long way on the contact surfaces. I've also heard of people clipping the spring a bit, but I'd try the graphite first.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #3

As in take the bolt apart and use graphite to smooth where each piece comes together?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The areas where your bolt comes in contact with the receiver.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I got a mosin nagant not too long ago and I plan on taking it out this week. I already clean all the cosmoline out but the action is still kind of stiff. I know that mosin actions aren't know for being silky smooth and mine isn't super stuff, but I feel it could be better. To give you an idea, I can't lift the bolt handle while I have the rifle shouldered. I don't have to smack the bolt to open it, but I do have to lower it to my hip. So any suggestions?
is a video on how to rectify

Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.
Will Meade
Owner/Operator
www.Sharkcoasttactical.com

Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #6

I watched related video after i watched that one and I think the problem is the spring. The bolt moves easily after its been cocked so I think clipping one of the rings off should help it.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default rough action

that video has a valid point ! but 1 thing my dad does to all his bolt actions is to take the bolt apart ,clean and then he will polish the parts on a buffing wheel . they look like chrome and man they move like glass

Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Ive got four mosins all of em got extremely thorough cleanings one of had to be run in a parts washer to get the cosmo out of the chamber area. The others only needed a few hours with qtips hoppes and some brushes.

Dont clip the striker spring!!!!!!!!!!!! cannot stress that enough. Clipping striker springs in any rifle is an extremely bad idea. It can easily lead to hangfires which can lead to accidental shootings when someone tries to figure why it didnt go boom. It can also lead to firing with a partial open bolt after a hangfire as you go to see what went wrong.

If you have a gun that someone bubba'd the spring on GET A NEW SPRING BEFORE FIRING AGAIN!!!!

DONT CLIP SPRINGS!!!!!!!

If you think your spring is too heavy contact wolff springs they know everything about gun springs. Only use springs that are properly made and tested in a striker application.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-10-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #9

Alright I won't clip the spring. I cleaned everything pretty thoroughly. Qtips, mineral spirits, brushes, and patches. I think it is just a tough spring, but I can live with that. Are there after market mosin springs that aren't as tough?