Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Slippery Mosin Stock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/slippery-mosin-stock-66546/)

SubSniper91395 06-17-2012 03:10 AM

Slippery Mosin Stock

Have a very nice 1940 Russian Mosin Nagant. It hasn't been counterbored, no cracks in the stock, cosmoline has been cleaned out of the action and barrel.....I have only one issue.... The stock is very dark, yet very nice, however it's kinda slippery, but I'm not sure if that's just that I have buffed and polished it up that well, or if theres more cosmoline on it. If it is cosmoline, how would I get it off the stock? (my hands are not sticky after handling the rifle, also nothing comes off when rubbed with a damp rag. Any advice?

BRAD313 06-17-2012 03:25 AM

Set the stock out in the sun on a hot sunny day 89 n up n take a rag n clean let set n clean some more repeat till nothing is coming off the cosmoline turns to a liquid at 89 deg.I had to do mine for 2 days lol it sucked if u can check you tube for videos there are other ways this is just the I was showed by the old man

Wilder 06-17-2012 03:35 AM

Try using a damp cloth and some degreasing dish soap ( the liquid kind you use in the sink, not the detergents used in machines), if nothing comes off then it is probably just smooth finish. In which case you could get it checkered, or refinish it using a linseed oil type of finish that seals the wood without the smooth build up ( think military M1 Garand stock ). If money is an issue you could stipple it, which is pretty simple, draw a pattern in the grip areas. Most people use similar patterns to checkering, and using a pointed ( not sharp, rounded point) punch, and lightly tap with a hammer to roughen the surface inside the pattern. If you don't want to alter the stock, a good hasty sling around the arm, and shooting gloves will help a lot.

kytowboater 06-17-2012 03:47 AM

I thought I had my stock good. Til
I shot on a hot day......

SubSniper91395 06-17-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater
I thought I had my stock good. Til
I shot on a hot day......

Precisely what I'm afraid of.

kytowboater 06-17-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSniper91395

Precisely what I'm afraid of.

Let it sit in the got sun. Works apparently lol, a boat load came out while it was sitting in the sun.

SubSniper91395 06-17-2012 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater

Let it sit in the got sun. Works apparently lol, a boat load came out while it was sitting in the sun.

I will do it tomorrow

c3shooter 06-17-2012 04:51 AM

I have a 1915 SMLE that can solve the oil shortage on its own. Wrap stock in brown paper bags. Place in a black plastic trash bag. Put in sun. After a couple of hours, replace the brown paper, which will have absorbed oil/ cosmoline. Avoid newspaper unless you like reading your stock- ink transfers.

SubSniper91395 06-17-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
I have a 1915 SMLE that can solve the oil shortage on its own. Wrap stock in brown paper bags. Place in a black plastic trash bag. Put in sun. After a couple of hours, replace the brown paper, which will have absorbed oil/ cosmoline. Avoid newspaper unless you like reading your stock- ink transfers.

.......would paper towels work?

therewolf 06-17-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSniper91395 (Post 838857)
.......would paper towels work?

They tend to stick more than the paper bags, but

aren't that hard to remove while the stock's still

warm.

Field-stripping the rifle is fairly easy, and also allows you

to get all the gunk off the barrel,receiver, and mag.

Some of the out-of-sight factory stamps and cartouches

on the barrels and other metal surfaces can

be found, at the same time.