Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sks or Mini 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sks or Mini 30

I am looking for a rifle to hunt deer out of my blind with. My blind is about 75 yards away from my feeder. I do own a Cheap AK but was wondering if I could get any better accuracy using 7.62 round with a different rifle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Stop by the intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

An SKS or a Mini-30 may be a bit more accurate, but all three of these are pretty well on par with each other. Your blind is only 75 yards away from your feeder, so what is the max range your thinking about shooting? An AK should be perfectly fine to hunt with at that range, so long as it's legal in your area. Some places (I hear) don't allow hunting with a rifle that takes a detachable mag.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Liked 1430 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 999

I have an SKS. It was a great rifle when used for its intended purpose. That purpose is a battle rifle. I can shoot decent groups at 50 - 75 yards with mine. But if you dont already own one, I think you could do a lot better with the money. I just bought a brand new Reminton 770 with a scope on it at Cabelas for $299.00. I have seen a Savage at Walmart for $265. Both are 30-06. With a 30-06 you can shoot at a much greater distance if you decide you want to later. I have not seen too many sks rifles for less that $250.

Are you wanting a battle rifle that you can hunt with? Or do you want a hunting rifle?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Get a Russian M91/30, Mosin Nagant. On Impact Guns right now for $109.

Accurate, could be spoterized, take a look Impact Guns - Russian M91/30, Mosin Nagant, Excellent + Condition, With Accessories

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

Liked 1430 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 999

I have a Mosin Nagant. Great rifle for the money. Different story if you decide you want a scope on it later. I also like the 30-06 because while you can get the 7.62x54r at cabelas or some other sporting good stores, there are still a lot of places that don't carry it. Just about anybody that sells ammo has 30-06.

I would hate to be hunting and realize that my ammo is sitting on my bench at home 40 a day's drive away. There is always a walmart somewhere.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

I really like shooting the battle type rifles. I was told the 7.62x39 makes a good brush round. It is also very inexpensive the absolute longest shot I would be able to make would prob be around 100 yards. I really like being close to the game wether it be pigs or deer or varmint I am not really all that experienced with ballistics and what not but am trying to learn all I can

Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #7

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

An AK should be plenty accurate for hunting deer at 100 yards. And have plenty of power at that range to do the job.

I have to agree though, before getting a mini-30 or SKS, I think I'd invest in a good bolt gun chambered for .30-06, .270, or .308. Just because.

BTW, I also have a 91/30 Mosin Nagant. The ballistics and accuracy are more than adequate. There's a sale of the day thread that has a link to one for $79. Very worth it IMO. I overpayed for mine, but I'm satisfied with it, so I don't care.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #8

Aka for sure! Just my opinion. Both are good.

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

For my part, I prefer the SKS. The minis are awesome weapons and I don't want to steal any of the thunder they have built up in terms of a reputation, but to me there is just something about the SKS that seems right. Also, The barrel on an SKS is longer which means the sights are more spread out than on your AK... This means a longer sight radius providing you a touch more precision, though with open sights precision is a little relative... The downside is that the SKS is less convenient to carry over distance... My SKS has the original cleaning rod but I can't fire it without the rod falling out so be prepared to have to locate it or leave it at home...

Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Ak would suite your range and purpose well and an SKS would as well. The main difference between the two is the SKS is a bit longer and is limited to 10 rounds unless you buy something like a TAPCO replacement magazine. The longer sight radius of the SKS will give you a tad bit more precision and the longer barrel will give you a little bit more accuracy. I like to share this quote though "All guns are more accurate than we are" unless you're talking about a smoothbore musket or something to that effect. The AK will give you more compactness and capacity. Like some of the others have said you might want to take a look at a bolt action rifle aswell like the Mosin Nagant, Mauser, and ect.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp