Sks or mini 14?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sks or mini 14?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Sks or mini 14?

I know these two guns are completely different, but which one is the most accurate? Most reliable? Which one would you go for? Im probably going to go for the sks because of the ability to accept striper clips and the internal magazine stripper clips are much cheaper but the mini 14 can hold up to 30 rounds but magazines for the mini are up to 40-80$ a piece. The Sks also has a bayonet and is ideal for h to h combat if ever needed but the mini 14 is lighter and more compact so if you could only have one wich one would it be? Sorry if this questions been asked before but this is my question im in the market for a shtf battle rifle just in case worse came to worse id like to have something reliable, rugged, and accurate, which one would you choose?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1722 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 3649

I'd take a mini over a sks anyday. That being said, for the price on the mini, ya can probably get an sks , and a case of ammo.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Even though I like the SKS, the mini 14 has it's

advantages. IMHO the 5.56 is an incredible

varmint and small game round at less than 200

yards.

Let's say the SHTF never happens, what would you

mostly be using the rifle for?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

SKS all day long. Options for stocks in wood and synthetic. If memory serves it can be converted for to use AK mags.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I'd go SKS,the SKS can take much neglect and live to fight another day,as the AK-47 does and did,I call them pacient rifles he places his in his hooch/cave,never oil or clean it but it will still fire,plus bulk AMMO is affordable,also many add-ons are available.

Good Luck With Anyone You Pick!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

Liked 2764 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

i've only shot an sks once, so i'm obviously not experienced to give you advice on one. i don't have much to say that is good or bad about the sks. i liked it at the time, but looking back after more firearm experience, i'm not sure how i would feel.

but i have great things to say about the mini 14! mine has been very reliable (1 ftf in apx 1500 rounds), mine is accurate enough (with good ammo sub 2"), i love the style and action (similar to the garand, m1 carbine, etc).....it has incredible versatility, you can have a gun that looks like a standard hunting rifle or a tactical nightmare with simple changes. if your experience with the mini has been like mine, you will love it!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 384

For price I would choose the SKS....or rather, 3 of them!

Mine is well made, cheap, accurate, durable, and of course has a bayonet. Don't own a mini 14, but for shtf, 3 for the price of one has advantages.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 06-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm a long time Mini fan but for a patrol rifle I'd take a modified SKS every time. I simply prefer the .30 calibre cartridge for defensive work.

Ammo is a big issue and 5.56 is going to continue to be for some time in all reality. 7.62x39 is readily available and fairly affordable, this reality cannot be overlooked. And the SKS is not picky in terms of its diet. I don't care to feed a Mini a regular diet of steel cased grub.

Both need better sights - Tech Sights is a good solution for either rifle. The SKS is a lousy platform for optics, the Mini ain't great but certainly better in that department.

Replacement stocks improve both rifles. I prefer the Tapco T6 for the SKS and a nice Hogue for the Mini. If Hogue made a traditional overmolded stock for the SKS I'd be a happy camper - ya hear me now, Hogue?!

An SKS is improved by adding a Murray firing pin - easy and affordable.

Both are very good rifles and noticeably better when enhanced moderately for the intended purpose. Your personal budget, specific area of operation and market availability should guide your choice.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #9

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Even though I like the SKS, the mini 14 has it's

advantages. IMHO the 5.56 is an incredible

varmint and small game round at less than 200

yards.

Let's say the SHTF never happens, what would you

mostly be using the rifle for?
If shtf never came it would mainly be used for hunting or target shooting in the dessert with some buddies and id keep it to pass down to my kids, i don't think its legal to hunt whitetail deer with a 223 in Arizona so im leaning towards the sks 762x39 a little more, im not really interested in varmit hunting unless i can eat the animal im hunting, in arizona we mainly have coyote and im not interested in killing an animal unless he is yummy and im going to eat it for food not sport

Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357

If shtf never came it would mainly be used for hunting or target shooting in the dessert with some buddies and id keep it to pass down to my kids, i don't think its legal to hunt whitetail deer with a 223 in Arizona so im leaning towards the sks 762x39 a little more, im not really interested in varmit hunting unless i can eat the animal im hunting, in arizona we mainly have coyote and im not interested in killing an animal unless he is yummy and im going to eat it for food not sport
BTW...
At the risk of complicating your decision, the Mini 30 is 7.62X39 as well....

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It