Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   SKS improvement? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/sks-improvement-96746/)

ivandog48 09-08-2013 08:20 PM

SKS improvement?

If you own an SKS, let me save you some time and ammo. I have used 20rd and 30rd magazines in my Russian 54' model SKS and never could get dependable feeding with these aftermarket mags. Usually first round FTF or last round FTF. Also a failure to lock the bolt back after the last round ejected. I did some online research and uncovered an obvious solution. Throw these hi-cap mags away and reinstall the 10rd magazine it was designed for. I did and have a flawlessly functioning SKS. It now will allow me to reload with the stripper clips I stored away. The aftermarket mags would not allow the use of stripper clips due to the inherent design limitations. It doesn't look as "bad" as a 30 round sticking out if that's what your after. Try it! D-U-H

Mongo 09-08-2013 10:49 PM

Try the chinese fixed box 20 round mag. I have one and it functions perfectly. they are scarce and expensive. I would also recommend check out murrays gunsmithing. They make an improved firing pin that will prevent slam fire.

ivandog48 09-09-2013 01:02 AM

Chinese fixed box 20rd. Huh. I'll try that. Didn't know they existed. Thanks!

therewolf 09-09-2013 01:10 AM

SKS "improvement" ?

Hmmmm. How about a little strontium

paint on the rear of the front sight ?

Lightly oil the bolt, carrier, and rails.

ivandog48 09-09-2013 01:17 AM

Not familiar with the strontium paint?? What color is that?

therewolf 09-09-2013 01:24 AM

It is highly phosphorescent paint, which glows in the dark.

Comes in white, red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.

Google "Glow-On".

Mongo 09-09-2013 02:28 PM

fixed 20 round Mag

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivandog48 (Post 1365054)
Chinese fixed box 20rd. Huh. I'll try that. Didn't know they existed. Thanks!

The last one I saw here (Rickreall Gunshow) sold for $75. I can post a picture of one if you need it.

purehavoc 09-09-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1365095)
It is highly phosphorescent paint, which glows in the dark.

Comes in white, red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.

Google "Glow-On".

I got some of this several years ago and it works great , its been on a gun for over 2 years and it will still glow for 10 minutes with just a quick hit of a flashlight . Buy the smallest container possible because after you open it up it will dry up in a few months . Mine did anyway .

orangello 09-09-2013 07:53 PM

My tapco 20 round mags work fine, when my SKS is in the tapco stock. I don't think the mags are designed to accommodate the variations in fitment with non-tapco stocks.

therewolf 09-10-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1366280)
I got some of this several years ago and it works great , its been on a gun for over 2 years and it will still glow for 10 minutes with just a quick hit of a flashlight . Buy the smallest container possible because after you open it up it will dry up in a few months . Mine did anyway .

Same here. One trick I find works great, is to prime the area with white paint first.

Increases the brightness. ;)