Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > SKS Gas Chamber won't come off... Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SKS Gas Chamber won't come off... Advice?

Recently inherited my stepfathers Chinese SKS, and when i field stripped it to clean off all the storage gunk i found that the gas chamber isn't coming off when i raise the operating rod. i've tried maintaining upward pressure on the chamber and moving the op rod around, nothing is working. would love some advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Welcome to the forum. You might get better results if you pop in the intro threads and say hi first

I have a Norinco SKS that was a little hard to get out. Pretty much had to manhandle it to get it out. Went back in nice though.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

ha alright i'll do that. so i don't have to worry about breaking anything? i've been putting a flathead screwdriver between the chamber and the barrel in front of the handguard and trying to pry it off, but i don't want to destroy the gun either.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

should the handguard bring the gas system out with it? i can't get that to move either. i'm sure this whole situation has a very simple solution, but a noob like myself has yet to find it :/

Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5702 Times on 3347 Posts
Likes Given: 4866

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTman View Post
should the handguard bring the gas system out with it? i can't get that to move either. i'm sure this whole situation has a very simple solution, but a noob like myself has yet to find it :/
My handguard did. I found i had to swing that little lever on the rear sight block around a bit to find the spot that would free the gas tube without launching the operating rod at my face (seriously, safety goggles the first time). Have you checked Youtube for a demo vid? They have them on many different things, some VERY different.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp
Start looking at #15. It isn't a vid, but it has lots of pics for people like me.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 05-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #6

yeah i've looked at almost every youtube vid i can find, but they all have their F***ing hand in front of the lever when they get the gas toob (spelling error intended) to come out. i can see it has a lot of residue and crap around the point where the gas tube comes out.