Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Sks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/sks-20780/)

jesseingall 12-05-2009 10:52 PM

Sks

Hi ive been reading these forums on here forever and see that people know a ton that visit this website. So, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on sks's and what i should buy. I'm thinking of buying one this summer and customizing it. I really would love to put a new stock on one and a red dot scope. Which sks should I buy and where do you recommend? I have a local gun shop where I am from that I go to a lot but I've got a feeling that their prices are a little high. Ive seen only one sks there but i dont go there on a regular basis. Should i buy online from sites like gunsamerica.com? I really would just love to hear what people have to say and their advice/thoughts. Thank you soooo much!

Wambli 12-06-2009 02:48 AM

SKS are good rifles, reasonably priced and cheap to shoot. Norinco makes a good one. I've owned several and they have all worked 100%. Gun broker is awesome. I've done a fair amount of business there and all transactions have been very smooth.

jesseingall 12-06-2009 04:38 AM

alright thank you. ive been to gun broker and ill check out the sks's. thanks again. if anyone else has anymore advice please post! thank you

c3shooter 12-06-2009 10:55 AM

There has been a crapload of Yugo SKS's that have hit market in the past year. They typically have a grenade launcher, blade type bayonet, and are cheap, HOWEVER- they also have a gas shut off valve that erodes (corrosive ammo) and leak gas, so need repair/replacement. There are also some of these that do NOT have chromed bores- so expect a bad bore, and be pleasantly surprised if it does NOT have one. I have 2 of the Chinese versions (brought one home- guy that it was issued to did not need it any more) and they are good shooters. Have seen folks try to customize rifles, and end up with a non-functioning rifle (usually over a magazine problem) The SKS is good WITHIN IT'S DESIGN LIMITS. It is a carbine, and shoots a farly low powered cartridge.

opaww 12-06-2009 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like my SKS...It is fun to shoot

jesseingall 12-06-2009 02:30 PM

alright thank you that is very helpful everyone. i think i should go a local shop and see if they haveone and see what kind of condition it is in. thanks again

Laufer 12-07-2009 05:59 AM

If you can visit a decent-size gun show and find a rifle price/condition reasonable, you will save the $50-90 in shipping+FFL fees compared to many which you find online.
A gun show seller might include part of this total in his list price, but with the economy zapping peoples' finances, you might find a decent deal unless you spend about $40 in gas etc to attend the show. The post-election buying frenzy of last winter has really cooled off:
some of it was caused by scalpers/speculators, who might now be selling some of their guns/ammo at a loss. No sympathy for them.

Beware that gun shop/show owners can quickly spot new gun buyers (new to AR, SKS, MN etc) and some will take advantage of you.

Have you looked at "SKSboards"?
They have so many forums there, that there is one dedicated to Albanian rifles.
Many of the regulars there are quite dedicated to the SKS, which might be an understatement....

jesseingall 12-07-2009 11:29 AM

alright ya I want to check out a gun show. I think that would be the best way to evaluate the gun and see what kind of condition it's in. There aren't very many gun shows in my area but there are some. I'll check them out this summer. And I'll check out sksboards. thanks!

psykodriver 01-14-2010 04:14 AM

get a Norinco or a russian

I would recommend a Norinco SKS. I have a sporter or "model D" that takes ak mags. The nice thing is that mags are readily available for it. AK drum mags DO NOT work though, the magwell is different than an AK so only regular AK mags work. Norinco also made the SKS with the fixed 10 rd box mags too. I have seen the Russian made ones at gun shows and online gunbroker. I would definitely recommend one of those....you know they'll be made with quality.
The yugo ones have never caught my eye...they look cheaply made and as mentioned above, you'll have problems....bores, gas leaks, etc...
If you make it to the gun show, definitely shop around for the right deal. Good luck!!

M14sRock 01-14-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psykodriver (Post 212542)
I would recommend a Norinco SKS. I have a sporter or "model D" that takes ak mags. The nice thing is that mags are readily available for it. AK drum mags DO NOT work though, the magwell is different than an AK so only regular AK mags work. Norinco also made the SKS with the fixed 10 rd box mags too. I have seen the Russian made ones at gun shows and online gunbroker. I would definitely recommend one of those....you know they'll be made with quality.
The yugo ones have never caught my eye...they look cheaply made and as mentioned above, you'll have problems....bores, gas leaks, etc...
If you make it to the gun show, definitely shop around for the right deal. Good luck!!

The Chinese drums won't fit yours, but the Russian and Eastern Block drums that came in back in the late 80's did fit. But they are very hard to find now.