Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Single shot rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I always had good luck with the Ruger #1 300WM that I had,never had any problems with the firing pin freezing when we elk hunted in Wyoming or Montana.It gets pretty darn cold in them parts too.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #12

Why single shot?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #13

Good question ACRhino...partly the way I like to range-shoot. Taking my time. Clear head, exhale, fire, repeat...I have a couple of nice bolt action rifles (.22 & .223). Semi-auto is not for me. Looked long & hard at a lever action. So partly wanting something different than what I already have (beyond different caliber). I like the classic lines & quiet action of the Ruger & Browning.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #14

I would think that for hunting you would want the ability to at least chamber 2 rounds, one for the shot and one if a follow up is needed without changing sight picture or manually inserting a round into the chamber/breech.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #15

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino
I would think that for hunting you would want the ability to at least chamber 2 rounds, one for the shot and one if a follow up is needed without changing sight picture or manually inserting a round into the chamber/breech.
Some people prefer the challenge of making that one shot count though

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #16

I don't hunt large game at this time. Just birds with shotgun. Perhaps next year - but its been years since deer hunting. Thinking more for of a range gun for distance shooting. And, to be honest, I don't have a medium/large caliber rifle and want one.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #17

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Any of the rifles mentioned will be great. My old FFL's wife has a trapdoor Springfield, an original in .45-70. She also has a Quigly rifle in .45-110. Those rifles are amazing. Both would be great range guns. Hand loading would be a plus.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1808 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
the ruger no 1 is a good rifle however the firing pins have a tendency to freeze when it gets cold. my uncle has one and was getting ready to take a deer with his a couple years ago on a single degree day. pulled the trigger but the firing pin didnt budge. deer kept on going without ever knowing the danger was around. so hunting in ny the no.1 might not be the best tool for the job. in warmer conditions it has performed great and is accurate though. ive heard good things about the t/c but have no exprience with it or the browning
Too much lube. I had a #1 and a #3. No trouble with either in sub zero. Degrease for cold weather on any firearm. Light synthetic.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #19

Ruger has always had lower marks in the accuracy column. The thompson center encore pro hunter has a fluted bull barrel. With lots of caliber choices. The t/c triggers are CRISP! I have two t/c's and both are sub moa. I love my triumph even though this is a thread regarding single shot centerfire, it bears mentioning its sub moa at 100yrds.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #20

Liked 333 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

there's also the many, many, many, caliber choices of the H&R handi rifles. plus you get a heavy barrel & most are available with wood stocks.

i don't know if they're quite the style you want but are probably the cheapest of the rifles you listed & will perform just fine.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch