Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Single shot rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/single-shot-rifle-53402/)

Ruby476 12-12-2011 12:17 AM

Single shot rifle
 
I have been looking at single shot centerfire rifles and wanted to gather some opinions. I have recently handled three: Thompson Center Pro Hunter; Ruger No. 1 in .308; and a used (excellent condition) Browning 1885 in 30-06.

I will be using the firearm for mid-range (200-300 yard) target shooting and, possibly, NY deer season in 2012.

I like the idea of the TC - the changing barrels & all. Don't love the stock. I prefer wood in general.

The Ruger is very nice. I like the idea of an iron sight gun. Don't know much about this model. Had a Ruger .22 (like some many of us) years ago.

The Browning is very nice. Late-1980s manufacture. Pricey - $1,200 Partly because it comes with an old Leopold scope. Also heaviest of the three. Also 30-06. Bit more firepower than I was considering....

Any words of wisdom out there?

Marlinman 12-12-2011 12:24 AM

T/c has wood stocks to sell and also sells em w a wood stock factory. The are awesome guns. Any of the calibers you mentioned are great for hunting and target shooting at those ranges.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

jjfuller1 12-12-2011 12:50 AM

the ruger no 1 is a good rifle however the firing pins have a tendency to freeze when it gets cold. my uncle has one and was getting ready to take a deer with his a couple years ago on a single degree day. pulled the trigger but the firing pin didnt budge. deer kept on going without ever knowing the danger was around. so hunting in ny the no.1 might not be the best tool for the job. in warmer conditions it has performed great and is accurate though. ive heard good things about the t/c but have no exprience with it or the browning

Marlinman 12-12-2011 12:52 AM

If t/c's will fire a BP or any other thing in saskatchaun winters then they will anywhere

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

trip286 12-12-2011 01:35 AM

Antifreeze.

Marlinman 12-12-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
Antifreeze.

Huh?

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

trip286 12-12-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Huh?

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

To keep the firing pin from freezing. Although the jug says not to let it touch the paint on your car, so I'd assume it would be hard on the finish of a rifle too.

hardluk1 12-12-2011 12:36 PM

rudy476 IF you want a single shot firearm with the option of changeing barrels buy the T?C with a slug barrel. Then buy a bullberry barrel in the centerfire of your choice. Better barrel. To me the ruger and browning are just to darn pretty to take to the woods and any kind of weaither but a clear day. BUT for the price of any of the single shot rifles on your want list there are so many great shooting rifles out there that weigh the same or less and are more accurate and offer a quick second or thrid shot.


jjfuller1 Don't use regular gun oil and your fireing pin will not freeze. I have beed in north saskactawan?? when it was 10 belowmore than a couple times useing breakfree clp and noooo issues. Don't try that with rem oil

hiwall 12-12-2011 12:55 PM

I have hunted many times in below zero weather with no problem with different guns. I have shot a large number of original 1885 Winchesters(hence my name) they are great guns. I have friends with Ruger number 1's and number 3's and they all liked them.

JonM 12-12-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 649273)
the ruger no 1 is a good rifle however the firing pins have a tendency to freeze when it gets cold. my uncle has one and was getting ready to take a deer with his a couple years ago on a single degree day. pulled the trigger but the firing pin didnt budge. deer kept on going without ever knowing the danger was around. so hunting in ny the no.1 might not be the best tool for the job. in warmer conditions it has performed great and is accurate though. ive heard good things about the t/c but have no exprience with it or the browning

Probably has grease or gummy oil in the firing pin channel. Taking it out and cleaning it well then using a dry spray lube should clear that up.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.