Single shot for hunting? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Single shot for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Up until last year I hunted deer with a single shot, a NEF Pardner Tracker with a rifled bull barrel in 12 gauge. I only use it occasionally now because the ammo for it is about $12.50 per 5 rounds. Now most of the time I use a NEF Protector pump and shoot the cheap "pumpkin" ball slugs. I could reload the single shot pretty quick if I needed to.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #12

Default Single Shot for hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, it only takes one shot- IF you do it right- and have rarely seen anyone miss a deer on first shot, and get a second. But for pigs, or anything else that can hunt me, would want a backups hot. IMHO.
I think a single shot is good for small game. But a hog. I want to have several more in the rifle just in case. They can be nasty creatures.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #13

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

For big pig yes a bolt gun or something with more than one shot is a need not a want. A deer will not turn and run at you and try to spill your guts on the ground to eat them after you miss the shot or just wound them.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all! After more research, and more looking around, I found a used Savage 110 that I think I'm going to put on lay-away next payday. It looks new and is a smidge over $300.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2355 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 3726

Quote:
NO way I'm gonna get caught on the ground with a 200 lb hog that has 6+ inch razor sharp tusks with a Bow or a single shot rifle .

Killed most of my hogs with a muzzleloader. Had hogs come after me three times. One was wounded by a friend. That hog charged from about 20 yards and i shot him between the running lights with my .50 caliber M/L. Once i got between a sow and her pigs by accident, she made a pass at me and missed. Third time i wounded a sow and went in a wild plum thicket after her. She let out a blood curdling scream and a big boar came after me. He missed to, thanks to a 4" tree. But i got the sow. Standing there with my muzzleloader, i felt a little naked that time.

Never saw a hog with 6" tusks and i've killed a few big ones.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #16

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shooting-hunting-hogs.html

Quote:
Hogzilla is the name given to a wild hog that was shot and killed in Alapaha, Georgia, United States, on 17 June 2004 by Chris Griffin on Ken Holyoak's farm and hunting reserve. It was alleged to be 12 feet long and to weigh 1,000 pounds.

Its remains were exhumed in early 2005 and studied by scientists from the National Geographic for a documentary. In March 2005, these scientists confirmed that Hogzilla actually weighed 800 pounds and was between 7.5 and 8 feet long, diminishing the validity of the previous claim. Hogzilla was part domestic (Hampshire breed) and part wild boar. However, compared to most wild boars and domestics, Hogzilla is still quite a large and extraordinary specimen. According to the examiners, Hogzilla's tusks measured nearly 18 inches, which was a new record for North America.
alsaqr I've never seen a Siberian Tiger or Komodo Dragon but that doesn't mean they don't exist now does it ?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #17

i remeber hearing about that hog, if i remember correctly it was a captive bred hog that was released 3-4 days before it was shot. but i still wouldn't hunt hog with a single shot already learned my lesson with that

Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A 7-08 shot into a hog's breadbasket should do the job. I've never seen one of these hogzillas that go to 600lbs. and have done a lot of hog hunting. Cougers seem to have a taste for joggers and mountain bikers. I guess they like lean meat. CD

Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3045 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Like any hunting, you tailor your style of hunt to the place and weapon. If you only have one shot, you make it count. But, remember you can reload a single shot rifle a lot faster than a muzzle loader, so saying you only have one shot is a bit misleading. Many hundreds (perhaps thousands) of hunters go to African in search of dangerous game with only two shots in the gun. They seem to do OK.

You do not go into a thicket chasing a wounded 300# hog with a single shot rifle (at least not w/o backup). You do not put yourself in a dangerous situation with a single shot rifle. You choose your firing position carefully to insure it is defensible. You do not walk around amongst scores of piggies with a single shot rifle.

I would absolutely hunt hogs, deer, even bear with a single shot. I would practice reloading and marksmanship to maximize survivability. A little bit of danger is acceptable while hunting. That is what makes it interesting. Otherwise it is just killing. If I just wanted to kill, I would get a job in a slaughterhouse, no thank you.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #20

Hunted with a single shot 12 ga, with a 36" barrel for years good on deer and turkey, Hogs pre-64 winchester 30-30. Dont hunt cats and Bear to me is not fit to eat.