Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Single shot for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Single shot for hunting?

What do ya'll think about a single shot rifle for hunting deer or hog? I've been looking at a few rifles and I really like the H&R Handi Rifle in 7mm. My local dealer has one for a good price. My only concern is that it's only a single shot. What say ya'll, single shot, or save a bit more for something with a few round capacity. (The dealer also has a nice Stevens model 200 for about $100 bucks more.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think if you are a good enough marksman that you could guarantee a clean kill, it would be fine.

HOWEVER - Hogs can be pretty nasty when they get their mind to it, especially if wounded & pissed.

I know some really, REALLY great shooters. We have several state and national benchrest and across the course competitors who get work done at the shop. A lot of them hunt, & they all carry a well built hunting rifle with an internal box, or removable box magazine.

I would personally vote against it - but I am not a hunter of animals...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 10-04-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe if you got it in 45-70....

I don't hunt either, but I've seen hunt videos and those animals can cover an amazing amount of ground in seconds. I think if I tried hunting I'd take something with a multi shot capacity....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 AM   #4

I would hunt anything except dangerous game with a single shot rifle. I have a Ruger Number 1 in 25-06 and I have killed several coyotes and deer with it never needing more than one shot. I have completely missed a few coyotes on the run but never wounded one. You might be surprised on how fast you will learn to reload your single shot and once you do a bolt action will still have an edge but not all that much. I always hold a second round between my fingers on my left hand and I can chamber it pretty fast after the first shot if need be. I hope that helps.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #5

Sure thing. I landed a deer with a (then) $70 single shot 12ga NEF shotgun. It's about the shot, regardless of the weapon. Where I was hunting rifles were off limits, so it was all scatter guns with slugs, again by law. At the time I didn't own anything but a waterfowl gun that I was unwilling to use to shoot slugs. All the experts told me I had no chance, one GOOD shot is plenty.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:31 AM   #6

Well now 20 years or so ago I was practicing with my hunting bow quite a bit and would shoot 8 shots at 25 yards go get them and do it again .

I was grouping well enough that every few rounds I would have to set aside 1-2 arrows and grab others because I was shooting the nocks and breaking them .

I was invited on an guided Archery Hog hunt by a coworker and it took me about 3 seconds to turn him down .

NO way I'm gonna get caught on the ground with a 200 lb hog that has 6+ inch razor sharp tusks with a Bow or a single shot rifle .

Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think hunting with a single shot is an excellent idea. When you know you've only got 1 shot you tend to wait until the perfect shot-resulting in better shot placement and greatly improved marksmanship. I start all my kids/students out with single shots and I feel they're all better shots because of it-especially with rifles. I hunt with a single shot a lot of the time-regardless of what game I'm after. If I had my way,everybody should start out hunting/shooting with a single shot. Also,single shots aren't very much slower to reload with practice. When you see someone hunting with a ruger #1,encore,or other single shot rifle,you KNOW that usually if you hear them shoot,there will be a dead game animal. After all-the 1st shot is the most important and best shot you'll have anyway.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #8

Liked 7548 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Well, it only takes one shot- IF you do it right- and have rarely seen anyone miss a deer on first shot, and get a second. But for pigs, or anything else that can hunt me, would want a backups hot. IMHO.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, it only takes one shot- IF you do it right- and have rarely seen anyone miss a deer on first shot, and get a second. But for pigs, or anything else that can hunt me, would want a backups hot. IMHO.
Yes some people just can't seem to get it that some animals will decide they are going to become the hunter instead of the hunted .

Pigs, Bear , and Big cats are all capable of doint this .

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A 600 pound boar has the ability to put you in the hospital. I'd seriously consider something that has the ability to fire a follow up shot, in case you just wing one and piss him off.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.