Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Single shot for hunting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/single-shot-hunting-7314/)

flbandit 10-02-2008 11:42 PM

Single shot for hunting?

What do ya'll think about a single shot rifle for hunting deer or hog? I've been looking at a few rifles and I really like the H&R Handi Rifle in 7mm. My local dealer has one for a good price. My only concern is that it's only a single shot. What say ya'll, single shot, or save a bit more for something with a few round capacity. (The dealer also has a nice Stevens model 200 for about $100 bucks more.)

Dillinger 10-02-2008 11:58 PM

I think if you are a good enough marksman that you could guarantee a clean kill, it would be fine.

HOWEVER - Hogs can be pretty nasty when they get their mind to it, especially if wounded & pissed.

I know some really, REALLY great shooters. We have several state and national benchrest and across the course competitors who get work done at the shop. A lot of them hunt, & they all carry a well built hunting rifle with an internal box, or removable box magazine.

I would personally vote against it - but I am not a hunter of animals...

JD

ScottG 10-03-2008 01:32 AM

Maybe if you got it in 45-70....

I don't hunt either, but I've seen hunt videos and those animals can cover an amazing amount of ground in seconds. I think if I tried hunting I'd take something with a multi shot capacity....

h2oking 10-03-2008 03:18 AM

I would hunt anything except dangerous game with a single shot rifle. I have a Ruger Number 1 in 25-06 and I have killed several coyotes and deer with it never needing more than one shot. I have completely missed a few coyotes on the run but never wounded one. You might be surprised on how fast you will learn to reload your single shot and once you do a bolt action will still have an edge but not all that much. I always hold a second round between my fingers on my left hand and I can chamber it pretty fast after the first shot if need be. I hope that helps.

bgeddes 10-03-2008 04:24 AM

Sure thing. I landed a deer with a (then) $70 single shot 12ga NEF shotgun. It's about the shot, regardless of the weapon. Where I was hunting rifles were off limits, so it was all scatter guns with slugs, again by law. At the time I didn't own anything but a waterfowl gun that I was unwilling to use to shoot slugs. All the experts told me I had no chance, one GOOD shot is plenty.

BigO01 10-03-2008 04:31 AM

Well now 20 years or so ago I was practicing with my hunting bow quite a bit and would shoot 8 shots at 25 yards go get them and do it again .

I was grouping well enough that every few rounds I would have to set aside 1-2 arrows and grab others because I was shooting the nocks and breaking them .

I was invited on an guided Archery Hog hunt by a coworker and it took me about 3 seconds to turn him down .

NO way I'm gonna get caught on the ground with a 200 lb hog that has 6+ inch razor sharp tusks with a Bow or a single shot rifle .

stalkingbear 10-04-2008 06:25 PM

I think hunting with a single shot is an excellent idea. When you know you've only got 1 shot you tend to wait until the perfect shot-resulting in better shot placement and greatly improved marksmanship. I start all my kids/students out with single shots and I feel they're all better shots because of it-especially with rifles. I hunt with a single shot a lot of the time-regardless of what game I'm after. If I had my way,everybody should start out hunting/shooting with a single shot. Also,single shots aren't very much slower to reload with practice. When you see someone hunting with a ruger #1,encore,or other single shot rifle,you KNOW that usually if you hear them shoot,there will be a dead game animal. After all-the 1st shot is the most important and best shot you'll have anyway.

c3shooter 10-04-2008 07:09 PM

Well, it only takes one shot- IF you do it right- and have rarely seen anyone miss a deer on first shot, and get a second. But for pigs, or anything else that can hunt me, would want a backups hot. IMHO.

BigO01 10-04-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 43574)
Well, it only takes one shot- IF you do it right- and have rarely seen anyone miss a deer on first shot, and get a second. But for pigs, or anything else that can hunt me, would want a backups hot. IMHO.

Yes some people just can't seem to get it that some animals will decide they are going to become the hunter instead of the hunted .

Pigs, Bear , and Big cats are all capable of doint this .

matt g 10-04-2008 09:41 PM

A 600 pound boar has the ability to put you in the hospital. I'd seriously consider something that has the ability to fire a follow up shot, in case you just wing one and piss him off.