silencer legal if not attached to rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > silencer legal if not attached to rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default silencer legal if not attached to rifle?

In NY i can not get a stamp for a silencer, as i find this incredibly stupid i will abide by the law. I know that if I make a silencer that attaches to my gun I will end up in jail.... With that said, If i make up a device to shoot past with multiple chambers made out of plate steel shaped like

___ . ____
1 \ / \ / 1
1 / \ / \ 1
1 \ / \ / 1
___ . ___

LOL you get the idea... something like that filled with steel wool or something like a muffler... or just shoot through a straight muffler, would that work?

i don't see why this would be illegal, all it is is a sound dampener.. if attached to the gun, illegal, placed on a bench.. not?

bad idea? just curious, trying to keep the neighbors happy.

Last edited by shnorse; 09-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Even with a revolver the gap between the cylinder and barrel is too big and they make a lot of noise.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
In NY i can not get a stamp for a silencer, as i find this incredibly stupid i will abide by the law. I know that if I make a silencer that attaches to my gun I will end up in jail.... With that said, If i make up a device to shoot past with multiple chambers made out of plate steel shaped like

___ . ____
1 \ / \ / 1
1 / \ / \ 1
1 \ / \ / 1
___ . ___

LOL you get the idea... something like that filled with steel wool or something like a muffler... or just shoot through a straight muffler, would that work?

i don't see why this would be illegal, all it is is a sound dampener.. if attached to the gun, illegal, placed on a bench.. not?

bad idea? just curious, trying to keep the neighbors happy.
Well trying to appease the neighbors will never work.... as long as they are more than 500ft away from where you sit when you shoot..... and you shoot within reasonable hours. Say between an hour after and hour before sunrise sunset.... as long as there no local law.... Forget what the neighbors think.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

1. Won't work
2. Who says a silencer must be attached to a firearm? Under the NFA, a silencer IS a firearm. And here is the legal definition-

Silencer

26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Silencer is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24)

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #5

wow, that's one messed up definition... what i was afraid of... glad i asked than, thanks!

I was bored and thought i found a loop hole, guess not.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
wow, that's one messed up definition... what i was afraid of... glad i asked than, thanks!

I was bored and thought i found a loop hole, guess not.
It does say a portable firearm. If you weld the pistol to the table along with the muffler you may have found that loophole...provided of course the table itself is permanently attached to the ground.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #7

So if i weld my slide to the barn, and weld the muffler infront of it i'd be perfectly legal... hmm, sounds easy enough

Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #8

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

yep,
even the adapter to use a oil filter as a suppressor requires the $200 tax.Check the ATF's website and get familiar with the laws if in doubt about something so you don't end up in the federal pen.

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 09-05-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #9

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

What if its internaly built and part of the gun?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #10

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
What if its internaly built and part of the gun?
Anything thats makes a gun quieter needs a permit, you can go the Form 1 route if you think you can build your own.

If the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel, then the barrel length will be measured when bolt is closed to end of suppressor. So you could then have a 11" barrel 6" suppressor and be longer then the 16" minimum. But it must be permanently attached to the barrel.

Last edited by Flat Tire; 09-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.