Sighting in a scope - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sighting in a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshop View Post
The rifle I'm going to sight in is a Marlin 444. I'll be shooting 250 grain Ammo. I'll mostly be hunting heavy wooded areas with 3 food plots (15 acre) each
In terrain such as you describe, I would be concerned that the time on target with a scope will be to long and the game will duck into cover before the scope can be brought to bear, also, in heavy wooded areas, is the typical shot range going to warrant using a scope? Maybe open sights would be a better choice.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #12

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

My go to deer rifle is a Remy 760. Where I hunt, a 100 yd shot is almost unheard of. It is scoped but on see thru mounts. I normally like to mount a scope as close to the barrel as possible as on all my other rifles but I find the scope very handy at times and much easier to take a quick look at something than binoculars. Points on a rack can disappear at a relatively short range. If you hunt in snow or rain, sometimes irons are your only option. Although in the event of a longer shot, a scope will reduce the chances of having to track a wounded animal or shooting a non legal deer. Hitting a deer at 100 yds with irons isn't a problem but sometimes knowing if it is a legal deer is.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #13

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
In terrain such as you describe, I would be concerned that the time on target with a scope will be to long and the game will duck into cover before the scope can be brought to bear, also, in heavy wooded areas, is the typical shot range going to warrant using a scope? Maybe open sights would be a better choice.
from a decent shooter, time on target with a scope is no longer than irons