Sighting in a Rifle/Scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sighting in a Rifle/Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Sighting in a Rifle/Scope

I have been shooting rifles,and rifles with scopes for just about 20 years now,but I have never actually sighted in a scope much more than on .22's.I want to sight in my .444 marlin for 100 yards and I have a few questions.First,I got the manufacturer's specs on the ammo that I want to use,and it shows the bullet path,and more or less it looks like the bullet starts out and raises up slow then comes down like a stone after 100 yards.I have been reading that I need to start out at 25 yards and then move on to 100 yards.I am getting a bore laser,and the specs say that the bullet path is 0.39" low@ 25 yards when trying for a 100 yard sight in,so am I supposed to keep the crosshairs always on dead center@25 yards and try to put the holes always straight right and left and I WANT the holes to be always .0.39" low even when my crosshairs are on center,and then I want the holes to be in the bullseye@100 yards when I put the crosshairs center@100 yards?

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Unless your trying to sight in with 6 rounds or less, your putting way too much thought into this.

1. Bore sight the gun in your garage by placing two targets on the opposite wall with the difference in elevation matching the difference in rise between your bore and the center line of your scope.

2. Ensure your scope is mounted "level" and with the proper eye releif.

3. Shoot 3 at 25 to ensure your on paper then adjust your elevation and windage too hit center if necessary.

4. Back out 100 and repeat.

The volume of info on scope mounting is limitless and most of it's just goofey.

It really is as simple as I describe above.

TACK

Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To begin with, I am a newbie...but think understands the process

Make sure to "zero" the scope first. It is a lengthy post but I can describe it if you need help doing it. With a rifle bore laser, this is not as critical but might help especially if your mount is way off and need shimming. After that is done you can proceed to the next step.

I find it easier to use the 2 projectile intersects between the bullet trajectory and your line of sight to use for zeroing.

For example, for a particular load you intend to "zero" at 100 yards, it might initially intersect with you line of sight at say 60 yards (bullet at upward trajectory) and again at 100 yards (bullet at downward trajectory).

In this instance, I would try to zero it at 60 yards then 100.

Makes sense?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OMG

Bore sight the darn thing.

Go to range shoot at 25 or 50 yards and get is dialed in there.

Place target at 100 yards and shoot adjust elevation and windage as needed.

You can get a bore sighter or go in and pay a smith $10 to do it for you.

All this intersect and other BS is just that BS just shot the darn thing and you will getrdone.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OMG

Bore sight the darn thing.

Go to range shoot at 25 or 50 yards and get is dialed in there.

Place target at 100 yards and shoot adjust elevation and windage as needed.

You can get a bore sighter or go in and pay a smith $10 to do it for you.

All this intersect and other BS is just that BS just shot the darn thing and you will getrdone.
Thank you CP, thought I was going to be the ONLY KISS "keep it simple stupid", believer on this thread...

Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default sight in

have it bore sighted ..shoot and adjust til you have bullseye center at 25 yards..always ''tap'' adjustment screws with empty hull 2 to 4 times after adjustment..remember to only shoot 3 shots ,let gun cool... better yet clean barrel between sessions..bore snake is quick ,easy. back up to 50 yards repeat ...than 100 ..once you hit bullseye at 100 consistant put target on a big piece of plywood 4x4 at 150yards shoot for bullseye see where you hit ..if your group is still inside of 12 inches of bullseye this is your maximum point blank range....so you could hold dead on a deer or hog out to 150yards and kill it....use new hornady lever revolution ammo in .444 good luck

Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #7

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
have it bore sighted ..shoot and adjust til you have bullseye center at 25 yards..always ''tap'' adjustment screws with empty hull 2 to 4 times after adjustment..remember to only shoot 3 shots ,let gun cool... better yet clean barrel between sessions..bore snake is quick ,easy. back up to 50 yards repeat ...than 100 ..once you hit bullseye at 100 consistant put target on a big piece of plywood 4x4 at 150yards shoot for bullseye see where you hit ..if your group is still inside of 12 inches of bullseye this is your maximum point blank range....so you could hold dead on a deer or hog out to 150yards and kill it....use new hornady lever revolution ammo in .444 good luck
I have the leverevolution ammo and used it last year with poor results.Come to find out,my gun is a 1970's .444 with a 1in38" microgroove barrel designed for 240 grain only.I'm just trying to get some sort of a science down to get as close as possible before I fire a single shot.I think that if I laser it at 10 yards and set the crosshairs for exactly 1" higher than the laser,then at 25 yards if the holes are .40" lower than the bullseye,then I am close to the predicted numbers for a 100 yard bullseye and can save alot of ammo.I am sure it will still come down to alot of oldschool tweaking still.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OK

Look man saving ammo? Your going to shoot it anyways. The more you shoot the rifle the better you get with it.

I understand 444 ammo is expensive but dang dude. You are going to end up giving your self a headache for no dang reason and still end up shooting the same amount of ammo. Do you want to do it the hard way (Your way) or the easy way and end up shooting 5 rounds more ammo?

I can have you sighted in at 100 yards in under 10 rounds.

bore sight it

50 yards shoot 3 shots make adjustments fire one more to make sure your adjustments are right.

Move target to 100 yards fire 1 rounds see where it hits. Make adjustment do it again to fine tune it and then shoot 3 shots into a group at 100 yards. 9 shots your sighted in and done.

Your method to hours of math racking brain over it. Buy laser to bore sight it. bore sight at 25 yards so that it is on at 100 shoot 25 yards make adjustments shoot again. More target to 50 yards shoot more. then more target to 100 and shoot more making adjustments. By the time your done you have done 100% more work in the math department then I did shot up more ammo than I did and you still are not sighted in.

You asked for help then when we offer it you just go and say I am going to do it this way.

DO it how ever you want to. I have been sighting in guns since I was 8 years old. Like I said above 10 rounds and your sighted in and ready for action.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default sight n

hell lets all chip in and buy the kid some ammo ...jesus

Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can tell you how to sight in with using only 4 shots. 1st make SURE you have a stable, solid rest where the rifle won't move. Then shoot 1 round after boresighting. Adjust your reticle to the bullet hole exactly. move the reticle to the center of the bull and shoot to confirm it's zero. The bullet should be exactly in the middle of the bull. Move target to 100 yards and repeat the steps.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!