Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sighting in, and judging ammo accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I understand the basics of good shooting, ect., but for these 2 purposes, why not take out the human factor as much as possible? As per my OP, I'd not use any rest like that for regular shooting, but for sighting in, and checking which loads are accurate, well, I'm not that good......

Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

clr8ter,Finding out what rimfires like to shoot is very time consuming,and fun at the same time.
I have many rimfire rifles,and each one shoots ammo differently. I think I have 17 different 22lr ammo's,and I have shot them all out of all my 22lr guns,as well as the many types of 22wmr that I have for those rifles.
A Lead Sled works,but I prefer to use a Bulls Bag and a rear sand bag.With the sled,you aren't using your regular shooting position because you can't shoulder the weapon. This causes you to pull the trigger differently than normal,and won't give you a true accuracy while you are actually shooting the guns.
Besides the Sled is pricey to buy,and using the bags works just as good,if not better.

I just make a target with several 1" dots,and note which ammo each one is. These are 10 shot groups from my Ruger 10/22T at 50 yds.You can see that it likes some ammo's,and doesn't like others. I never adjust my sights/scope when doing these test.I don't care if they are off,I just want to see how they group.
When you find out which shoots best,then I adjust the sights/scope to the target.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #13

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There is a big difference in plinking rifles and actual one hole target rifles. Which ever one you choose they are enjoyable.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have used pant legs with sand. The sand will gently work through the fabric and you do not want sand around your rifle-- when using sand I place the sand in a baggy plastic bag first. I just gathered the pant leg and tied them off with old shoe laces which will allow the addition or removal of filler
Bird seed is also a good filler.
If you are shooting several rifles, it is a good idea to alternate them so as to let the barrels cool off.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5192 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 4411

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
I have used pant legs with sand. The sand will gently work through the fabric and you do not want sand around your rifle-- when using sand I place the sand in a baggy plastic bag first. I just gathered the pant leg and tied them off with old shoe laces which will allow the addition or removal of filler
Bird seed is also a good filler.
If you are shooting several rifles, it is a good idea to alternate them so as to let the barrels cool off.

Try ground corncob or walnut media.

Golda Meier.