Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Sighting in, and judging ammo accuracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/sighting-judging-ammo-accuracy-81195/)

clr8ter 01-13-2013 05:03 PM

Sighting in, and judging ammo accuracy

I have a bolt action rifle that needs sighting in. Also, for this rifle, and 2 others, I'd like to find out what ammo shoots the most accurate. So my question is; would some type of rest that holds the gun securely, so all you have to do is work the bolt, and pull the trigger, be best? If so, anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

SSGN_Doc 01-13-2013 05:13 PM

They do make Sled type rests that hold the gun completely for you. But if you use good sandbags and a solid bench you can get accurate enough data to know which loads are performing well and which are not. Besides at some point you are going to shoot the rifle yourself. It might be good to know what performs well while you are running the rifle. But for raw data, I find that sandbags are good enough.

Also keeping an acurate log book is important.

minniehill 01-13-2013 09:37 PM

If there is much recoil, I have to recommend the sled. Prevents sore shoulder/flinch if you are working in 3 rifles.

clr8ter 01-13-2013 11:23 PM

No. just one rifle each day. Besides, they are 22 LR, Mag, and 17 HMR. Doc, I plan to only use this rest for the sight ins and ammo comparisons. After that, just Bi-pods. Also, I was hoping to get suggestions on what people like, and build something similar myself, out of wood and/or metal. Save some money, you know. Thanks for the sandbag idea, will consider. I would not have said that would've been repeatable enough.

minniehill 01-13-2013 11:56 PM

Use old pant legs to make cheap sand bags. Just a little sewing.

clr8ter 01-14-2013 12:08 AM

Ohhh, that's a cool idea, too!

locutus 01-15-2013 05:15 PM

I've been using cut off pant legs filled with my used corn cob grit or walnut grit for years. Much lighter than sand and works just as well for me.

SSGN_Doc 01-16-2013 12:23 PM

Good suggestion. Those plastic BBs for air soft guns make a good filler also. And they don't absorb moisture and are fairly cheap and very light weight.

tiberius10721 01-17-2013 03:37 AM

sandbags and sleds are great tools for sighting in a rifle but a even better tool is your trigger finger. try this trick take a cleaning rod put it in end of rifle barel and balance dime on end of cleaning rod and dry fire rifle and see if u can squeze trigger gently enough that dime doesnt fall off cleaning rod when u squeeze trigger. this is an old army basic training trick that will really help u squeeze that trigger gently when sighting in that rifle. if done right when that rifle fires it should be a suprise. trigger pull is a huge factor when sighting in a rifle. just my two cents.cleaning rod trick is easier if u have someone helping u put dime on end of rod.:) im not trying to brag but i can sight in rifle with sandbags or without cause of good trigger pull.

kingrider 01-17-2013 03:44 AM

I love the lead sled for working up loads. When developing a load I'm not testing my shooting skills so much as I am the rifle and loads. When I'm satisfied with my findings I then ditch the sled and sight in off the bi-pod which is usually the rest ill be using in the field.