Sighting a 30-30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sighting a 30-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sighting a 30-30

I have never sighted a gun before, what would be the best way to sight my .30-.30?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Sighting a .30-30.

Welllllllllll, as they say, "That depends."

Iron sights, or scope?

I usually start off by bore sighting. Put the rifle in a vice or solid rest, remove the bolt and look down the bore. Is it pointing at the same spot as your sights / scope? If so, you're close. Further adjustment requires firing the rifle at a knows distance, usually 100 yards / meters, and adjusting the sight / scope until it hits where it is aimed.

There is a method of sighting in using just two shots. After bore sighting, take a shot (#1) using a vice, or solid rest. Being very careful to not move the rifle, adjust the sight / scope to line up with the hole. Take a second shot to confirm and viola, you're sighted in. It works best with a very steady rest and a trusted friend to make the adjustments while you concentrate on keeping the rifle still.

Good luck.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #3

You should pick up a few different brands and bullet weights of ammo too. Not all ammo will shoot the same. I usually start with bullet weights in the middle of the weight range. You will find that one brand and weight will shoot the best out of your rifle.

See ya,
Rod

Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #4

I am going to assume that your gun is a lever action, as most 30/30s (not all, but most) are. Not being able to pull the bolt and boresight it that way makes it a little harder. There are a couple of ways you can do this. First you can just mount the scope, take it to the range and start shooting. If everthing is straight and plumb, the scope should not be TOO far off. Being this is the first time doing this, you may want to look at something different. The laser boresight systems are easy to use, but you have to buy the laser and then the adaptor for the correct caliber. Chamber the laser and adaptor and line the crosshairs up on the laser dot. A couple of shots to confirm and fine tune and you are done. Or you can always take it to a good gunsmith and have him boresight it for you, but this wil also cost a little $

Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #5

Default what scope??

a marlin you can scope over bore the win side eject you can scope but the top eject is a terror.I dont like my neck hanging out there.
since the 30/30 is a 150yd shooter and the sight is a ramp you dont have much chouse. -- -- ---