SIG Arms SHR 970
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > SIG Arms SHR 970

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default SIG Arms SHR 970

Hey from Kansas.
Just picked up a NIB SIG Arms SHR 970 in 30-06. I found myself in the market for a new deer rifle, after becoming increasingly frustrated with my Savage Axis (.308). I decided I would not settle for another sub $500 dollar gun and started aiming a little higher. Originally I was after a Ruger African and after finding one new almost bought it. Thats when a buddy of mine came to me with a NIB never fired SHR 970. Ignoranty I first assumed, as many have, that it was Sig as in SigSauer. To my confusion it was not. Then I remembered The Swiss company.

Well, carrying on, my pal didn't know anything about the gun. He bought it new several years ago at a gun show when we were "Rich and Famous" and put it in a safe never to see the light of day again. In talking with him about my future intentions he said he had a 30-06 he has never shot he'd sell me for $600. I was not interested, but he dropped it off at my house anyway. So I threw in a snap cap, checked the action and pulled the trigger. SOLD! I am in love.

Now, from what I gather, there isn't a whole lot of these floating around. I hadn't ever seen one before. Im wondering how many of you out there have one. Mine is a synthetic stock which does the gun a horrible injustice. Its ugly and feels cheap. But the action and the trigger are crisp and beautiful... With the purchase of the gun my buddy included a custom stock made by his father to my specs. So now I have to tackle the custom stock thing, but I wont shed any tears there...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've got one in .308 that I've had for 10+ years. I thought I paid just over $400 for it new. It's a good shooter, yes the stock is less than desireable. The action was a little stiff when I first got it, but it's smoothed out nicely.

I had been hunting with a Weatherby 30-06 with a 50mm scope & I wanted something smaller & lighter. Just don't forget the magazine when you head out. Good luck with yours.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hmmmm. I had looked them up and hadnt seen anything less than $750 if I found any at all.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well, now that deer season is over, I sent the gun to my buddy to have a Walnut/Osage (hedge) stock cut for it. Pretty excited for this years deer season.

Sent from my Z750C using Firearms Talk mobile app