SIG 556 Classic
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > SIG 556 Classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default SIG 556 Classic

Anyone got an idea what a NIB SIG 556 goes for?

Anyone have one, or used it?

What's the 411 on this gun?

I have a shot @ grabbing one this week.

Let me know what you think.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, what the hell are you doing looking at AR's - You pinkie Commie Rifle lovers aren't allowed across the Line in the Sand.

Okay, so here's the deal. Sig used to make a military model called the 550. Depending on who you talk too, it was either a great attempt, with a budget cutback on execution that lead to it's downfall, or it was the wrong product at the wrong time. Either way, it kind of went by the way side...

Now the 556 Classic is the same basic design, with some new upscale innovations.'

It's a gas piston driven system, like your AK's, but it has a two position gas valve for timing ( suppressed fire anyone? ).

The entire rifle, minus receiver, is polymer on the outside, so it's more durable than plastic and it won't scratch up as easy. The receiver used to be steel, which made it a bit heavy, but on the plus side it was STEEL and not aluminum.

On the down side, for me, is the price ( Expect them to go for north of $1800 with a quick Google search ) and they almsot all have a 1:7 cold hammer forged barrel. Hammer forged barrels are alright, but they aren't the best for accuracy - add in the piston system and you have two negatives in teh accuracy department.

Now, 1:7 is not the best choice for the available bullet weights in common "retail" land....

1:7 is a faster spinning bullet rate, which means you have to shoot the heavier bullets out of them ( probably in the 77 grain, or higher, environment ). Most of the common civilian and military stuff is either 55 grain or 62 grain. With a faster twist rate, and the right conditions like high heat and low moisture, you could very easily overspin a 55 grain bullet and get it to particl-ize ( I made that up ) and therefor would be useless in the field.

Now, if you were reloading, the 1:7 twist with the heavy bullets would give you great knock down potential over someone shooting the 55 grainers all day long.

For Minute of Bad Guy - and the ability to knock his pee pee in the dirt, it's probably a good rifle if you can get a good price on it.

That said, it's still a "factory" gun and for that kind of money, I would like to have more say into the components than you are going to be able to do since Sig isn't "standard" in what they do....

What's the guy asking for it if you don't mind me asking?

JD

Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 AM   #3

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

So a commie/pinko storied past prevents me from a fraternity jump????

I have been Jonesin’ after a Colt 6920 for some time now.
I can pick one up tomorrow in Pompano Beach for $1800 NIB.
Just not ready to jump but…. if the clouds start to form, I could sell my Impala SS and snap it up.
(Mrs. Cane is b1tchin’ about parking in the driveway anyway)
I have a FFL buddy that gave me a heads-up on an incoming shipment of the SIGs and is holding one for me while he sorts out the sell price.
Not knowing a thing about the SIG I thought I’d float a thread and get smart, or at least get the questions lined up as what to ask him.
The info he gave me looks like he pulled it off the SIG site;
Caliber—5.56mm NATO
Overall Length—37.1”
With stock collapsed—34.3”
With stock folded—28.1”
Stock Style—Swiss
Barrel Length—17”
Forearm—Polymer
Sight Radius—18.1”
Rifling—1 in 7”
Number of Grooves—6
Weight (w/o magazine)—8 lbs. 2 oz.
Magazine Capacity—30 rounds

If the $ comes in near the $1800 level I’ll continue to lust after the Colt.

I’ll keep you in the loop.

Tks, JD

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, that's the one. You are probably going to be told around $2K, would be my guess, unless it's a REALLY good friend.

I don't think the Colt is a bad choice, but it's over priced compared to what you can do on your own. $2K for a 16" AR-15 with a standard GI barrel?

We are building 20" AR's now with a custom match grade barrel, tuned triggers, blue printed upper, tuned gas system and a free floated forend for just under $2K and they are selling like hot cakes....

But, everyone wants what they want. There is nothing wrong with a Colt - it's definitely a well built machine - but you are paying for that name cane, keep that in mind....

JD

Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Default Sig 556 clearance sale

Impact Guns THIS JUST IN.... Sig 556 clearance sale ends Friday at noon (MST). Don't miss your opportunity to save hundreds of dollars. Order now before we are out or before prices return to normal.

SigArms 556 Rifles & Pistols at Impact Guns Home
Impact Guns Online Store