Should I oil? - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Should I oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
In the air? Do you clean in one of those static free clean rooms? I have dust in my house, thus the reason I wipe them down whether they get used or not, about once a month. I time it by looking at the ceiling fan, if there's dust on the ceiling fan, its time to dust the whole house and everything in it.
You must be from the city because there is dust in the country. And dust on the outside of the gun on the frame or slide isnt the problem and not what we are talking about. When you take a semi auto pistol apart to clean the only thing you should oil the he** out of is the barrel. And maybe a couple tiny dots where the slide goes on the frame anymore then that is overkill and potentially cause gun malfunctions.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #32

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

First, it doesn't matter where I live, I've spent most of my life in the country, am currently living in a decent sized town, and none of that has any bearing on how I keep my home clean. I don't like filth, I consider gobs of dust on my ceiling fan filthy, especially when it's over my kitchen table, where I eat my meals.

Second, maybe I misunderstood your post. I didn't realize anyone was talking about spraying what sounds now like industrial amounts of oil all over a gun, as that just seems silly to me. I give my guns actions a quick light shot of Rem Oil. That's it. I'm not worried about over lubing, lubing wrong, or any contaminants being caught in the oil, as they get cleaned thoroughly. I also have yet to have any issues with rust or malfuntions.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #33

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
First, it doesn't matter where I live, I've spent most of my life in the country, am currently living in a decent sized town, and none of that has any bearing on how I keep my home clean. I don't like filth, I consider gobs of dust on my ceiling fan filthy, especially when it's over my kitchen table, where I eat my meals.

Second, maybe I misunderstood your post. I didn't realize anyone was talking about spraying what sounds now like industrial amounts of oil all over a gun, as that just seems silly to me. I give my guns actions a quick light shot of Rem Oil. That's it. I'm not worried about over lubing, lubing wrong, or any contaminants being caught in the oil, as they get cleaned thoroughly. I also have yet to have any issues with rust or malfuntions.
I kinda like cob webbs floating around by my face like jellyfish while im eating dinner...no not really,lol.

Ive lived in the country all my life and a gun can get filthy wherever you live.as long as a person practices good cleaning habits your guns will be just fine... wherever you live.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #34

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

OK, Y'all, bring those unrusted guns down to

Florida and see how blemish free they stay.

Depending on humidity, I would recommend a regular

wipe-down for any gun, SS or not.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
OK, Y'all, bring those unrusted guns down to

Florida and see how blemish free they stay.

Depending on humidity, I would recommend a regular

wipe-down for any gun, SS or not.
Hell no. if I can get a good job down there I'll be on my way, but I'm not looking to rust my guns as an experiment!

I like Florida, I'm really hoping to find a job down there. I'm a beach bum by nature.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #36

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Hell no. if I can get a good job down there I'll be on my way, but I'm not looking to rust my guns as an experiment!

I like Florida, I'm really hoping to find a job down there. I'm a beach bum by nature.
You would think you had enough to do with sand for this lifetime at least from being in the marines and over seas

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #37

Ah, but a sandy oceanside beach and sandy dust comprised of dried animal **** are entirely different things! Especially when there is a place to take a dip to cool off!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Ah, but a sandy oceanside beach and sandy dust comprised of dried animal **** are entirely different things! Especially when there is a place to take a dip to cool off!
Very true

Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #39

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

So not moly grease. What about lithium?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61
So not moly grease. What about lithium?
Lithium eats aluminum and lower grade carbon steels. Moly has a pretty high freezing point of like 40°F so thats why your adviced to not use it