Should I oil? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Should I oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2602 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

yEP,

That is good! But there are a lot better gun oils available than Rem Oil! And Rem Oil is not adequate for the AR Rifles for those who are using it on AR Rifles! It is too thin and will bake off with any heat generated by the weapon during firing multiple rounds!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1266 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Sniper03 is correct Rem-Oil is to light, use Lucas Gun Oil..........

When all else fails.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #13

Liked 2546 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Oil everything !
Mobil-1 doesn't cost much...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anything we can do to guard against corrosion is good, but keep it to a light coating.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #15

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
So I stripped down my Winchester 94 and did a deep clean on it. I pulled the magazine spring out and cleaned the tube (which it DESPERATELY needed). Im wondering...should I run a patch of remoil thru the tube to protect it like you do the barrel?
After reading your post I started thinking about my Model 94 that I bought new in 1973. I have always kept my 94 very clean after each use but I had never cleaned out the magazine tube. The screw for the tube plug was in there pretty tight so I spayed a little Kroil on it to loosen it up. There was some corrosion on the threads of the screw but I easily removed it with Kroil and a bronze brush. This took some of the bluing off the screw but I recoated it with my bluing pen. There was some crud in the tube and on the spring but the metal was not rusted. I was surprised at how good the tube and spring looked after I cleaned them. I sprayed a little Rem Oil on a patch and ran it through the tube. I doubt what little oil that coats the inside of the tube will hurt the ammo.

I am glad I read your thread. This project gave me something fun to do.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

After reading your post I started thinking about my Model 94 that I bought new in 1973. I have always kept my 94 very clean after each use but I had never cleaned out the magazine tube. The screw for the tube plug was in there pretty tight so I spayed a little Kroil on it to loosen it up. There was some corrosion on the threads of the screw but I easily removed it with Kroil and a bronze brush. This took some of the bluing off the screw but I recoated it with my bluing pen. There was some crud in the tube and on the spring but the metal was not rusted. I was surprised at how good the tube and spring looked after I cleaned them. I sprayed a little Rem Oil on a patch and ran it through the tube. I doubt what little oil that coats the inside of the tube will hurt the ammo.

I am glad I read your thread. This project gave me something fun to do.
Good im glad! I (for some reason) love cleaning guns. Its kinda relaxing. Turn some music on and go to it. Same thing with reloading. Great way to end the night. I figured my grandpa had never really deep cleaned it and with it having sat 10+ years it could use it. The magazine tube was caked. It was like mud. I was taken a back at how shiny it was when I was done.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #17

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Good im glad! I (for some reason) love cleaning guns. Its kinda relaxing. Turn some music on and go to it. Same thing with reloading. Great way to end the night. I figured my grandpa had never really deep cleaned it and with it having sat 10+ years it could use it. The magazine tube was caked. It was like mud. I was taken a back at how shiny it was when I was done.
I also find cleaning guns and reloading to be relaxing. I put on some music and enjoy a nice cup of coffee while spiffing up my guns. I take my time and try not to get in a hurry. I like looking at my guns after they are once again clean and bright. Yesterday my wife asked what the "sweet" smell in the garage was every time I cleaned my guns. I showed her the Hoppe's #9 bottle. A while ago I started wearing nitrile gloves when cleaning my guns to help prevent harmful exposure to some of the chemicals. I also quickly learned to use some of the ammonia-based copper solvents in a well-ventilated area.

I also found some of that caking in my ammo tube. It looks like old dried-up grease. I think there was a time when it was common for gun manufacturers to slap grease on parts of a gun when putting them together.

I think you are going to have a lot of fun shooting your 94.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

So you guys said remoil is to thin...and I saw a guy actually using grease to lube his. Would moly grease be good to use?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #19

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mobil 1 synthetic, cant beat it

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You'd be surprised how many people have asked me to look at a gun of theirs that's acting up and the only thing that was wrong with it was a lack of maintenance. Had a guy brought me an AR-15. He said it had over 1500 rounds through it. Never been cleaned or oiled. When I broke it open, I was surprised it was working at all. It was dry as a bone, with gunk caked up so thick I had to scrape it off with a screw driver. The bolt assembly was riding in channels cut through the gunk. The rings.....well....they were still there...more or less.

I know opinions vary widely on gun cleaning. Some clean a gun every time it's shot. Others will argue you shouldn't do that. But they have to be cleaned and oiled at least once in a while.

As to Rem Oil, it doesn't take heat to bake it off. Oil a gun with rem oil, let it sit for a month or so, no sign of oil anywhere. Like it's never been oiled. That stuff just evaporates.