Shot my best group today

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shot my best group today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Shot my best group today

Today I managed to get five rounds into .320" (center to center) at 100 yards, a bit under 3/8".

I was shooting Black Hills 75 grain HP Match loads in my Savage 25T in .223 Winchester.

This was my best group ever, beating a 3-shot 3/8" group I fired with a 30 pound bull gun chambered in 30-30, back in the late 1980's.

A lot of the readers here shoot better than this on a regular basis, but it was a real milestone for me to beat 3/8".

Whether this would translate into good long-range performance is hard to say. The 75 grain bullets may not stay stabilized long enough. From what I understand, the 1-9" twist is only supposed to be reliably fast enough for 65-68 grain bullets. I only have access to 100 yard facilities, so somebody else will have to find out about what a 75 grain bullet out of this gun might do at long range. I can report though that after 80 rounds at 100 yards, I have seen no evidence of yawing or key-holing.

Needless to say, I am happy with the Savage 25T, marketed as a light varminter. So much so that I am planning on getting a better scope for it. I think I'll get a Swift, this time.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 09-19-2014 at 11:26 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 398

That's fine shooting! Congratulations!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7326 Times on 4410 Posts
Likes Given: 9017

Very nice, indeed. I'm impressed.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2114 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Very good shooting. Bullet design is also a factor. When I had a 223 in 1:12 it was fussy with 55 grain bullets. Boat tails did not stabilize as well as flat base. It did fantastic with 45 and 50 grain bullets. I now have a 1:9 twist that works great with 55 and 62 grain bullets.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Very nice group. It's always great when you shoot your personal best. Whatever it may be.

Jim..............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Your rifle and your bench and your ammo shoot quite well.

Now stand up and shoot offhand, and see what you can do at 100 yards,

I think you will find that you will be lucky to hit the target at all. So that's what you really need to practice.

Then you will find that to shoot further than 100 yards, you need a bipod and practice shooting in the prone position -- they way they teach in the US Army and USMC. And if you do not have a bipod, then you need to rig a tight sling to support your rifle with in the prone position.

My longest successful shot on a deer is 425 yards, and you can be there was no bench set up for me to sit down at and rest my rifle on.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Note also that you are hitting to the left by about 2 clicks of your scope. You need to move the impact of the bullet RIGHT by 2 clicks and then re-set the dial to zero.

Otherwise you will be 1 inch left at 200 yds,

and 2 inches left at 400 yds,

and 4 inches left at 800 yds -- which is not bad.

But if the wind is blowing in the same direction then you could be way off.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I do fairly well offhand at 100 yards with my M1A Scout squad, or my Mosin but I can't imagine shooting this varminter off-hand, it's pretty heavy. I'm afraid this gun will always be shot off of the sandbags, or maybe a bipod if I get a chance to take it out hunting some day. I'm getting to be on the elderly side, and I think you are right about me being lucky to hit the target, shooting this rifle while standing up on my hind legs.

My guess is that the number of varmint hunters who hunt by firing ten pound rifles offhand is mighty small. Note that military experience and teaching is fine if you are in the military, but may not be at all relevant for many civilian activities. By the same token, methods for hunting big game cannot be depended upon to translate well into varmint hunting scenarios.

We all tend to go with what we know... I shoot five round rifle groups because I got used to five-shot strings as a bullseye match pistol shooter, thirty years ago. Five shots usually tells me what I want to know, but sometimes I'll try ten shots instead to get a better idea of what is going on. A lot of rifle shooters are content with three shot groups, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Most hunting is done with one shot, maybe two... I do it the way I do at the rifle range because I started off as a pistol shooter, not because I particularly know what I'm doing.

One reason that my son and I have decided to re-scope the Savage is that the scope we have does not have reliable adjustments. It's supposed to have 1/4" clicks at 100 yards, but one click moves the impact point more than that, closer to 1/2" or 3/4" so that I get to shoot on one side of the bull or the other, but getting it to center up is pretty elusive. As it is, my best chance at hitting the bull is a flyer, or maybe to flinch one in there. Then there's always Kentucky windage, but I always do my best if I align the crosshairs with the target.

There are a couple of other things about the scope that we found to be irritating. Even a very slight movement of your head can cause the image to suddenly black out, and finding the sweet spot where you have a clear image can be a challenge. It is much more sensitive about this than other glass we have used. Last of all, it is a 4-16x40, and we agree that more magnification would make it easier to see the little .223 bullet holes at 100 yards. Swift makes a 6-24x50 in their premier line that I am considering. The gun has a high polish, so I'm thinking about Conetrol Custum rings and mounts to match up with it.

I ignore my hits while shooting, concentrating instead on holding my mouth just right but after I've shot a string, it would be nice to see the group well without having to use my spotting scope. It has gotten to where I have to suppress a groan when I get up from a seated position, so anything that lets me avoid getting up and down is a real plus.

Apparently the Black Hills factory loads are pretty good. I bought two boxes of 50 factory seconds, kind of cheap at the gun show, so I'd have something to shoot in the Savage while I waited for reloading dies to be shipped in. I live in a small desert community, so it is amazing how much we depend upon the internet and UPS for a lot of our shopping.

Now I have dies, and I already had two boxes of 100 Hornady 55 grain V-max bullets and an almost full can of 748 sitting around in the shop. I'll use those and see if I can get it to shoot the lighter bullets now.

The Savage 25T is a light varminter, but I bought it for a cheap to shoot and hopefully accurate range gun. - Something that I could afford to shoot often, and have fun with at the range. - Mission accomplished! I'll be utterly amazed if I ever get a chance to use it for its intended purpose.

My son is going to do some work on the stock that will tie the gun up for a few weeks. While it is out of action I'm going to look for a better scope, probably the Swift, and load up some of the 55 grain bullets so we'll have something to shoot when it's ready to go again. If the 55 grain bullets do not work out, I'll get some 75 grain hollow-points as I already know that the gun likes them.

I got two rifles at the gun show, this Savage 25T and a Winchester 1885 in .270 WSM. The Savage is shooting OK, but the 1885 is not cooperating so far. It doesn't like the box of factory loads I got for it, so that I would have some brass.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 09-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Nice shooting Salvo. The 1-9 twist barrel will stabilize the 75 gr BTHP match bullets very well in most cases,but it will start having problems with the longer Hornady 75 gr AMax bullets. I shoot the 75 gr BTHP bullets out of my Savage 12 FLVSS 223 all the time out to 600 yards.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
That's fine shooting! Congratulations!
Fine trigger work. Glad to know that eyes & reflexes respond ; 30 years later.

Dino from the Pittsburgh Rat Pack// Amateur Shooter; Professional Accumulator