Shot the Gunsite Scout - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shot the Gunsite Scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

You'd think when building a "Scout scope" they'd give it enough eye relief. 10 to 11 inches is a good range, 8" is not enough ( think my girlfriend said that the other day, LOL). The Nikon at 9" to 30" should be fine, not sure why the FOV shrinks to nothing when you crank up the power ring above 5x.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #52

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

Well, I finally got out tonight and shot the Scout I bought several months ago. This was the first real rifle shooting I have ever done. I shot 4 rounds out of my buddy's 30-06 a few months ago, but have never really just sat down and worked with a rifle before. The first 5 rounds at 50 yards using the Scout's iron sites were all on paper but pretty scattered. The next 5 were at least bunched a little tighter. Then I got a more comfortable position using the little rest bags I bought. The last ten of the night were all either in the bull or just touching the edge. I now know that the cheap little crappy Bass Pro bags are not really good for shooting a 308. I shot better just using the front bag. All in all I had fun, and was impressed with the rifle. I just need some more time and probably a decent scope. I am not a big fan of those sites. Especially in a little bit dim indoor range. Polymer mags are a lot easier to load than the metal ones.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #53
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
You'd think when building a "Scout scope" they'd give it enough eye relief. 10 to 11 inches is a good range, 8" is not enough ( think my girlfriend said that the other day, LOL). The Nikon at 9" to 30" should be fine, not sure why the FOV shrinks to nothing when you crank up the power ring above 5x.
all optics shrink in fov as magnification increases, if your talking about the dreaded black ring shrinking the image to a mere dot then see the following:

well, while i like nikon, their eye relief isnt great anymore since they dropped their african monarch line.

what most companies advertise as eye relief is usually the eye relief at that smallest magnification power. the problem with cheaper optics is the lack of constant eye relief. some models are so bad at eye relief you cannot position the optic with the same chin rest at lowest power as you do at highest power.

for these scopes you have to find the eye relief at low then at high and the true eye relief is where all magnifications can be used with the same cheek weld. this number is pretty much always much less than advertised.

its just one of the problems of lower end optics. its not a deal breaker just means they are less forgiving and require more fiddling to find the right distance for all magnification settings.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #54

Finally decided on what to try with my Scout. I bought the XS Rail and a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 Illuminated Fire Dot 4 scope. Thanks to all those that guided me towards a 1x scope. I looked through a handful of scopes at different shops, and finally decided to just part with the $$ and go with something that should be solid and versatile. I'll report back on results after I shoot it a bit.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #55
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3168 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Finally decided on what to try with my Scout. I bought the XS Rail and a Leupold VX6 1-6x24 Illuminated Fire Dot 4 scope. Thanks to all those that guided me towards a 1x scope. I looked through a handful of scopes at different shops, and finally decided to just part with the $$ and go with something that should be solid and versatile. I'll report back on results after I shoot it a bit.

Expensive, but a good Scope CC! One of my Ex-Navy pals has one on his 308 bolt gun but it's not a scout, I think he has a Military 700

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #56

Yeah the price hurts, but it seems pretty universally accepted that it's hard to go wrong buying the best piece of glass you can afford. It killed my budget enough to ensure I'll be shooting iron sights on my Mini 14 for a while though.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #57

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I would like a Ruger GSR

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #58

Go buy one then.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #59

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts