Shot the Gunsite Scout - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Shot the Gunsite Scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The reason I do not like the 'scout scope' concept is the VERY limited field of view the extended eye relief scopes produce. If you keep the magnification under 2x I can live with it but do not like it but above that magnification is is total unacceptable in my opinion. Scout scopes lack the versatility a good variable scope is capable of on this caliber rifle.
"Very limited field of view" ?????????? With both eyes open and the scope way out in front, not right in against your noggin, you have a 180 degree field of view. I know you mean field of view through your scope, but having situational awareness of what is going on to the sides, whether engaging an adversary or singling out a deer from the herd is very important. Besides not having the tunnel vision of a conventional scope, the Scout mount scope has the additional advantages of easier carrying/better balance, not having something over the action facilitating cleaning the action, clearing a jam or single loading/topping off the mag. The scout scope can usually be mounted lower, you don't have to worry about the objective bell being too close to the bolt handle or your hand getting pinched between the bolt handle and scope either. My rifle has Q.D. medium rings, I could get the scope much lower if I wanted to buy lower rings. And with a rifle like the Ruger Gunsite, you don't have to remove your rear sight to mount a scope. It's there, still zeroed, in case you need it, not detached and sitting in your pocket or backpack like you'd have to do if you mount a scope over the action. Not everyone will like a Scout scope, I wasn't sure I would, till I tried it.
dsc01309.jpg  

Last edited by sandog; 11-30-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #42

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
"Very limited field of view" ?????????? With both eyes open and the scope way out in front, not right in against your noggin, you have a 180 degree field of view. I know you mean field of view through your scope, but having situational awareness of what is going on to the sides, whether engaging an adversary or singling out a deer from the herd is very important. Besides not having the tunnel vision of a conventional scope, the Scout mount scope has the additional advantages of easier carrying/better balance, not having something over the action facilitating cleaning the action, clearing a jam or single loading/topping off the mag. The scout scope can usually be mounted lower, you don't have to worry about the objective bell being too close to the bolt handle or your hand getting pinched between the bolt handle and scope either. My rifle has Q.D. medium rings, I could get the scope much lower if I wanted to buy lower rings. And with a rifle like the Ruger Gunsite, you don't have to remove your rear sight to mount a scope. It's there, still zeroed, in case you need it, not detached and sitting in your pocket or backpack like you'd have to do if you mount a scope over the action. Not everyone will like a Scout scope, I wasn't sure I would, till I tried it.
I don't agree with you. You can shoot any scope with both eyes open, a toothbrush will get in just about anywhere for cleaning, you can't single load or top off with the steel mags anyways, if you are that worried about back up irons you can buy the XS rail and always have a ghost ring.

To me the real value of the scout concept is a having a relatively heavy hitting round out of a small gun and a box mag.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 813 Times on 537 Posts

Every time I read a response in this thread I change my mind about what I am going to put on my new Scout. Not sure whether I appreciate or curse you guys. I think I am still going to try the scout concept first, and then add the XS rail and conventional scope later if I don't like it. In NC most hunting is short distance woods so the scout at 1X to 3X will probably handle almost all shots. I could see where the conventional scope would be better for other areas or longer shots though.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Every time I read a response in this thread I change my mind about what I am going to put on my new Scout. Not sure whether I appreciate or curse you guys. I think I am still going to try the scout concept first, and then add the XS rail and conventional scope later if I don't like it. In NC most hunting is short distance woods so the scout at 1X to 3X will probably handle almost all shots. I could see where the conventional scope would be better for other areas or longer shots though.
I know some people really love the scout scopes, they just don't do it for me.

I hope you like whatever you end up going with.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2305 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1240

The point I was making is the 308 Scout can 'out range' a 2.5 X scope. A good low power variable will make it a much more versatile rifle. I have a 1.75 x 6 Leopold on mine and use it for hunting, but would not hesitate to use it for a SHTF rifle with this scope. I guess if you are building a short to moderate range SHTF gun the scout scope concept is ok.

That said it is going on Gun-broker shortly!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #46

The scope on my GSR is a 2-7x, so I am not "underscoped". I can see as far as I want to shoot. And forest225, the metal mag came with my GSR, but is on there "just for looks". It has more of the M1A look, but is inferior to the poly mags, of which I have several, and they can be top loaded, in or out of the rifle. If you're not going to mount a scout scope on a GSR, just get a Frontier, or other compact .308. Lighter and cheaper. Yes, you can shoot any scope with both eyes open, but when the scope is 3-4" from your eyes, as opposed to 9-13", it will block out some of your downrange view.
dsc01305.jpg   dsc01307.jpg  

Last edited by sandog; 12-01-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add photo

Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nice looking set up. Is that the Burris Scout Scope. I am thinking either the Burris 2x7 or the Leupold 1.5x5 that SWFA has.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #48

It is the Hi-Lux Leatherwood. When I bought it from Midway, it was $125. really decent for the money. The Burris variable hasn't been out too long, but it's nearly $400. I liked the Leupold 1.5-5x better, it has the FireDot illumination. I have a similar one on my AR, the 1.5-4x Mark AR w/ firedot SPR, it's great. But I checked and the Leupold variable Scout only has an eye relief of 6.5" to 8". It seems like not enough, or just barely enough eye relief. My Leatherwood has 9" to 13". I'd try to go to a store and look through one held up on a GSR first. I did that the other day with a Nikon Force XR ( they call it a pistol scope) 2.5-8x. I wanted to like it, reasonable price, $280, light, clear and has the BDC reticle. Eye relief is listed at 9" to 30". It looked good at 2.5x up to about 4.5x or 5x, but above that I could not see through it. It just doesn't get far enough from your eye with a Scout rail. The eye relief changes a lot with the power ring.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
The scope on my GSR is a 2-7x, so I am not "underscoped". I can see as far as I want to shoot. And forest225, the metal mag came with my GSR, but is on there "just for looks". It has more of the M1A look, but is inferior to the poly mags, of which I have several, and they can be top loaded, in or out of the rifle. If you're not going to mount a scout scope on a GSR, just get a Frontier, or other compact .308. Lighter and cheaper. Yes, you can shoot any scope with both eyes open, but when the scope is 3-4" from your eyes, as opposed to 9-13", it will block out some of your downrange view.
I really don't think there is a significant difference in FOV. I get why you like the setup, but it's just not for me.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the info Sandog. This is my first rifle and am trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. Stupid me would have just assumed they would have built a scope with plenty of eye relief for a scout scope.