Shot the Gunsite Scout - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shot the Gunsite Scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Was at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday, and saw a Nikon Extended eye relief scope, a 2.5-8x with a BDC reticle. maybe they've been out for a while, but it was the first I've seen or heard of them.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #32

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Cardiac :
Hope you understood my post. I like the ghost ring sights on the Scout .

I do not like bead & Blade sights because the only way to use them is to aim under where you want to hit while the natural tendency is to center the bead on the bull's eye .

With a square front post, it is easy to place the tip of the post where you want the bullet to hit . You can still see the rest of the target above the post .

Cooper intended the scout to be fitted with perhaps a 2.5 power scope forward of the bolt area with generous eye relief . This would allow the shooter to open both eyes and see his surroundings while aiming . Cooper praised the Burris Scoutscope . He said a forward-mounted scope :

" ...does not obscure the landscape. With both eyes open, the shooter sees the entire countryside as well as the crosswire printed on his target . For this reason, it is important that the magnification of the telescope be no greater than 3X ( Some hold that 2X is the maximum ) in order to avoid excessive disparity between the vision of the two eyes . This forward mount, properly used and understood, is the fastest sighting arrangement available to the rifleman ....It is out of the way when the rifle is carried at the balance . It may be mounted as low over the bore as the diameter of the bell permits . It avoids pinching between thumb and bolt handle when the bolt is operated . It permits stripper loading if desired. It greatly facilitates single-loading with eyes on target . It completely eliminates ' telescope eye ' . "
- Jeff Cooper- from To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I love my scout, out of the box, it was site on at 100 yds. I got a hand scope 3x9x 32 with a 14 inch eye releaf for range out to 400 yards. Have sighted in yet but fits, looks good. This Ruger scout is my favorite gun now. Fits with savage 42 in .410/.22 magnum, and .17 HMR to round them off. Have a few lever actions I have decided to keep. Have an original 97 Winchester pump, 18 inch I might dump. Been trying to talk my kids and grand kids into taking some of my stuff. Don't want to be labeled a terarist.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #34

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroprospector
I love my scout, out of the box, it was site on at 100 yds. I got a hand scope 3x9x 32 with a 14 inch eye releaf for range out to 400 yards. Have sighted in yet but fits, looks good. This Ruger scout is my favorite gun now. Fits with savage 42 in .410/.22 magnum, and .17 HMR to round them off. Have a few lever actions I have decided to keep. Have an original 97 Winchester pump, 18 inch I might dump. Been trying to talk my kids and grand kids into taking some of my stuff. Don't want to be labeled a terarist.
If you want some guns to go to a good home I'd be honored to accept them

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #35

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's a vid that lauds the Scout :

Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 346 Times on 238 Posts

I'm a Scout fan boy, but that looked like a paid advertisement. Not really much depth.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 961

The reason I do not like the 'scout scope' concept is the VERY limited field of view the extended eye relief scopes produce. If you keep the magnification under 2x I can live with it but do not like it but above that magnification is is total unacceptable in my opinion. Scout scopes lack the versatility a good variable scope is capable of on this caliber rifle.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 11-12-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

After tons of reading and research I think I agree. It seems that for maybe a military application or zombie apocalypse that the scout scope concept would make some sense. But for range duty and hunting other scopes seem to make much more sense. Are there good scopes that offer more eye relief than a standard rifle scope, but also have illumination as well as the variable settings? I checked out the Trijicon that Jon recommends and it looks nice, but it's hard to tell without actually putting it on the rifle and seeing how it fits and feels. Plus as I've said before I am a rifle noob. Right now I think I am leaning toward putting the XS rail on it, and finding a scope along the lines of a 2*7 or 3*9 30-40mm. But the whole eye relief and fit thing has me concerned. If I put quick release mounts on it also then I can always remove the scope and use the sights. Does all that make sense?? I'm in no hurry so have time to figure it out and play around. I just want to buy one nice scope that works, and try to avoid buying something that gets relegated to a box on a shelf later.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #39

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
After tons of reading and research I think I agree. It seems that for maybe a military application or zombie apocalypse that the scout scope concept would make some sense. But for range duty and hunting other scopes seem to make much more sense. Are there good scopes that offer more eye relief than a standard rifle scope, but also have illumination as well as the variable settings? I checked out the Trijicon that Jon recommends and it looks nice, but it's hard to tell without actually putting it on the rifle and seeing how it fits and feels. Plus as I've said before I am a rifle noob. Right now I think I am leaning toward putting the XS rail on it, and finding a scope along the lines of a 2*7 or 3*9 30-40mm. But the whole eye relief and fit thing has me concerned. If I put quick release mounts on it also then I can always remove the scope and use the sights. Does all that make sense?? I'm in no hurry so have time to figure it out and play around. I just want to buy one nice scope that works, and try to avoid buying something that gets relegated to a box on a shelf later.
Zombie Apocalypse? dude, this is not TV we are talking real life here lol

Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is called a joke. Relax. We can't be worried about gangs, terrorists and the government agencies all the time. Sometimes you gotta think about Bigfoot and zombies!