Shot the Gunsite Scout - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shot the Gunsite Scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 323 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Lefty bolt.....I like it.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68

I need to read up on scopes and red dots. It sounds to me as if the red dots offer little or no magnification just a quick way to acquire the target, and perhaps aid somewhat in accuracy. While scopes will magnify and make pinpoint shooting at distance easier. I guess the question is first, what distances is the gun going to be used for mostly, and how quickly can a target be picked up with a scope. It also sounds like no matter how much I read or learn I am probably going to end buying a red dot, several scopes and probably 3 different kinds of sights! dde31
CC: look into Burris AR prism sights. They Mae a 3X(the 332 I think) and the 5X model 536. Range finding abilities, and a red/green Rectile, plus added rails,....I ordered the 5X for my Mini-14....should be here late next week.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #13

Liked 314 Times on 221 Posts

I checked those out. They look nice, but wonder if they'd work on the scout. They only have 2.5" of eye relief. Makes me think they may not be great for a scout set up. And it sounds like they were really designed for the AR platform and 5.56. Now if i could find a scout scope with those features i would be excited.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I checked those out. They look nice, but wonder if they'd work on the scout. They only have 2.5" of eye relief. Makes me think they may not be great for a scout set up. And it sounds like they were really designed for the AR platform and 5.56. Now if i could find a scout scope with those features i would be excited.
I'm guessing you would need an XS rail to use one.

Unfortunately there really aren't many options for scout optics. I have heard of people using pistol scopes, so you may want to check into that.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1964 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
Only put through about 10 rounds because of the wind and cold, but shoots nice and I hit what was aimed at.
It looks just like mine!!! Your gun, your range, and your shooting bench!!!

I like my L/H SR but I am considering selling it. I am trying to narrow down my guns to the one I want to use in the next few years and I have more than I will want to shoot right now.
I have a suggestion for you. I put some 2x2's around the edges of my bench so nothing 'rolls' of or falls off the edge. It works great.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 11-07-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #16

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225 View Post

Unfortunately there really aren't many options for scout optics. I have heard of people using pistol scopes, so you may want to check into that.
Besides the Weaver Scout scope (heavy), there is a Burris 2.75x, the new Burris 2-7x with BDC, Leupold 2.75x and the Leatherwood 2-7x, a very good optic for $130. Probably a few more too, out there that I'm not aware of.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog
Besides the Weaver Scout scope (heavy), there is a Burris 2.75x, the new Burris 2-7x with BDC, Leupold 2.75x and the Leatherwood 2-7x, a very good optic for $130. Probably a few more too, out there that I'm not aware of.
I have a Leupold LER scope on my M1A Scout.
ALL that have shot it have loved the target presentation with that set up. Think it was around $300 to my door...

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

Liked 314 Times on 221 Posts

The Leopuld seems to be really well liked. I just brought my Scout hime today, and hope to get to the range this weekend. I am in no huge hurry to spend another $300 so I'll just use the iron sights for a while as I get used to the rifle.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68
The Leopuld seems to be really well liked. I just brought my Scout hime today, and hope to get to the range this weekend. I am in no huge hurry to spend another $300 so I'll just use the iron sights for a while as I get used to the rifle.
Yup....probably had 10 or so range trips before I ponied up for the scope. I fine tuned the iron sights at 100 yds and have the scope on a quick release mount.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1964 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

I do not like the 'scout' scopes. Mine wears a 1 3/4x6 Leupold VX-III (the original short one)! You simply take the long rail off and put any scope you would like on the receiver.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!