Shortening and recrowning barrel - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shortening and recrowning barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Ya I get it......how would you like to catch a 7mm Hammerhead round then????
He asked if you were wanting to play baseball or something its shooting not catching. He said he will teach u about guns when u get here.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #12

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post

He asked if you were wanting to play baseball or something its shooting not catching. He said he will teach u about guns when u get here.
He can try......and its catching if your on the receiving end. I'm always willin to learn.....but Calc taught me pretty damn well.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

He can try......and its catching if your on the receiving end. I'm always willin to learn.....but Calc taught me pretty damn well.
He said u pass his first test u took a direct slam an didnt blow up he said 60 yrs of smith work is at hand to share with you. Ok im gettin to buzzed to tex this its takem me 4 times so talk later

Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #14

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post

He said u pass his first test u took a direct slam an didnt blow up he said 60 yrs of smith work is at hand to share with you. Ok im gettin to buzzed to tex this its takem me 4 times so talk later
Like I said-always willin to learn. Later Big Injun

Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #15

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

chicagojoe, Shortening a barrel and doing a crown job is not particularly hard to do, but getting it exactly right might be a challenge without correct tools.

LOL, I basically use a tubing cutter, hacksaw, and lee brass case trimmer.

Tubing cutter I use to score a mark around barrel where I want to cut.

hacksaw I use to cut along line made by tubing cutter. I might take the barrel to a 1" belt sander to smooth out or correct a cut.

Lee Case trimmer tool I use to cut the crown. WHAT?????? you may ask. If you have a collection of various diameter spindles for the case trimmer, you can usually use spindle one caliber lower than your bore. For example, this morning used spindle for a 243Win on my case trimmer in my 25 caliber bore. Mind you it was a loose fit, so to remove looseness and protect the rifleings at same time, I cut a piece of brass shim stock that fit around the spindle. Inserted brass shim in bore and lubed spindle and worked it into bore. Don't have a 1/2" chuck on my drill, so clamped a visegrip on the lee cutter, applied pressure to end of cutter and began turning it. Around 100 turns later, had a decent target type crown on the muzzle. You might be surprised how well a Lee Case Trimmer will cut/shave barrel metal.

visit surplusrifleforum.com and check their gunsmithing section. You'll find a sticky on this technique for crowning a barrel.

But as earlier poster wrote, gunsmith should not charge that much, so you might be wise to let him do it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #16

In 1968, when I was in high school, I sporterized a Mauser military rifle for a project in my metal shop class. Yes, in those days we could bring guns to school and work on them and no one cared and there never was a threat or a problem. In my conservation class, our teacher brought in a whole arsenal of rifles to show what various rifles could be used for hunting various types of game, and no one gave it a second thought.
Anyway, I cut and crowned the old Mauser barrel. I chucked it in a lathe and held a hack saw in one position until the saw cut completely through. I then used a cutting tool clamped into the tool holder and cut a neat crown on the spinning muzzle. If a 16 year old kid could do it, then with a little practice (of which I had before I attempted the crown cutting) most anyone could do it. The problem is in finding a lathe to use. Of course, that is what a professional gunsmith would use to perform the job.
cottontop

Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Dave Manson reamers sells a military barrel recrowning kit that includes the crown cutter and mandrel. You can do it on a fully assembled rifle with an electric screwdriver (not a drill). It takes 10 minutes. I ahve recrowned about 8 barrels now. Cold blue works fine, but you can also polish to a mirror finish and it is just as resistant to corrosion.

Search youtube for the Manson Reamers video. You can get a couple of different angles. I bought an 11* target crown cutter. It's the bomb! Going this way, you can experiment. I cut my mini-14 three times! I've done two Mosin Nagants and two M-14s. It was woth the $113~ I paid (and another $45 for a second caliber).