Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shortening and recrowning barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Shortening and recrowning barrel

Has anyone here shortened and re-crowned a barrel? Has anyone cold-blued exposed metal on a rifle? I am contemplating shortening my Weatherby Vanguard S2 barrel from 24" to 20" or 21". Ole Larry Potterfield from Midway USA makes it look so easy on his videos, but I am nervous that I will ruin an accurate rifle.

I hunt in Western PA where it is hilly and densely wooded, and almost all shots are under 100 yards. I am either in a stand or helping with a drive, so a more compact rifle would be ideal.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Has anyone here shortened and re-crowned a barrel? Has anyone cold-blued exposed metal on a rifle? I am contemplating shortening my Weatherby Vanguard S2 barrel from 24" to 20" or 21". Ole Larry Potterfield from Midway USA makes it look so easy on his videos, but I am nervous that I will ruin an accurate rifle.

I hunt in Western PA where it is hilly and densely wooded, and almost all shots are under 100 yards. I am either in a stand or helping with a drive, so a more compact rifle would be ideal.

Most will say cold blue dosent work but I beg to differ, its not as grand as a good hot salts blue but if you clean the hell out of the metal it will come out good, just remember 0000 steel wool between every coat untill u get it as dark as u want it. Yan can also cut an recrown it easy. Let a smith do it for $45 bucks an done deal.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post

My gunsmith is right next to me at the poker table, I asked him how much he would charge a customer he didnt know an he said $45 to cut an crown. He said its a quick easy fix, so why do it yourself when u can get a smith with exp to cut an crown for what u will spend on a tool order.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #4

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are you gonna cut the barrel down w? What type of crown are you puttin on it?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post

My gunsmith is right next to me at the poker table, I asked him how much he would charge a customer he didnt know an he said $45 to cut an crown. He said its a quick easy fix, so why do it yourself when u can get a smith with exp to cut an crown for what u will spend on a tool order.
That's very correct. When I go to work for you you'll have a certified Smith on the payroll too mike

Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

That's very correct. When I go to work for you you'll have a certified Smith on the payroll too mike
True, wait two of you ahhh crap.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post

True, wait two of you ahhh crap.
We'll get along I promise.......after I introduce him to the warbirds rubber bullets

Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:

We'll get along I promise.......after I introduce him to the warbirds rubber bullets
That lil warchicken aint that scarry, my ex hits harded then them damn lizzaronies do. He he get it lizzaronies

Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Quote:

Thats from marcus not Me by the way

Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #10

Ya I get it......how would you like to catch a 7mm Hammerhead round then????