Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Shortening and recrowning barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/shortening-recrowning-barrel-80951/)

ChicagoJoe 01-10-2013 11:32 PM

Shortening and recrowning barrel

Has anyone here shortened and re-crowned a barrel? Has anyone cold-blued exposed metal on a rifle? I am contemplating shortening my Weatherby Vanguard S2 barrel from 24" to 20" or 21". Ole Larry Potterfield from Midway USA makes it look so easy on his videos, but I am nervous that I will ruin an accurate rifle.

I hunt in Western PA where it is hilly and densely wooded, and almost all shots are under 100 yards. I am either in a stand or helping with a drive, so a more compact rifle would be ideal.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Muliemaster 01-10-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe (Post 1088600)
Has anyone here shortened and re-crowned a barrel? Has anyone cold-blued exposed metal on a rifle? I am contemplating shortening my Weatherby Vanguard S2 barrel from 24" to 20" or 21". Ole Larry Potterfield from Midway USA makes it look so easy on his videos, but I am nervous that I will ruin an accurate rifle.

I hunt in Western PA where it is hilly and densely wooded, and almost all shots are under 100 yards. I am either in a stand or helping with a drive, so a more compact rifle would be ideal.

Most will say cold blue dosent work but I beg to differ, its not as grand as a good hot salts blue but if you clean the hell out of the metal it will come out good, just remember 0000 steel wool between every coat untill u get it as dark as u want it. Yan can also cut an recrown it easy. Let a smith do it for $45 bucks an done deal.

Muliemaster 01-10-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe (Post 1088600)

My gunsmith is right next to me at the poker table, I asked him how much he would charge a customer he didnt know an he said $45 to cut an crown. He said its a quick easy fix, so why do it yourself when u can get a smith with exp to cut an crown for what u will spend on a tool order.

Marlinman 01-11-2013 12:00 AM

What are you gonna cut the barrel down w? What type of crown are you puttin on it?

Marlinman 01-11-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster (Post 1088634)

My gunsmith is right next to me at the poker table, I asked him how much he would charge a customer he didnt know an he said $45 to cut an crown. He said its a quick easy fix, so why do it yourself when u can get a smith with exp to cut an crown for what u will spend on a tool order.

That's very correct. When I go to work for you you'll have a certified Smith on the payroll too mike;)

Muliemaster 01-11-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1088642)

That's very correct. When I go to work for you you'll have a certified Smith on the payroll too mike;)

True, wait two of you ahhh crap.

Marlinman 01-11-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster (Post 1088648)

True, wait two of you ahhh crap.

We'll get along I promise.......after I introduce him to the warbirds rubber bullets;)

Muliemaster 01-11-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1088650)

We'll get along I promise.......after I introduce him to the warbirds rubber bullets;)

That lil warchicken aint that scarry, my ex hits harded then them damn lizzaronies do. He he get it lizzaronies

Muliemaster 01-11-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1088650)

Thats from marcus not Me by the way

Marlinman 01-11-2013 12:14 AM

Ya I get it......how would you like to catch a 7mm Hammerhead round then????