Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shopping at Gun shows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 443 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I have found the best time to find deals at a gun show is usually Sunday afternoon about 2 hours before the show ends. People are starting to pack up their wares and it is alot easier to put cash in his pocket than to put a rifle back on his shelf at the shop. Not just firearms either,, I helped a buddy of mine get a good safe for about 600 bucks less than the guy's asking price on a Sunday afternoon. No checks, no credit cards, make sure you have cash. This has worked well for me several times in the past. The bigger the event, the better chance of getting a good deal.

Good shopping,
Jeff

Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
I have found the best time to find deals at a gun show is usually Sunday afternoon about 2 hours before the show ends. People are starting to pack up their wares and it is alot easier to put cash in his pocket than to put a rifle back on his shelf at the shop. Not just firearms either,, I helped a buddy of mine get a good safe for about 600 bucks less than the guy's asking price on a Sunday afternoon. No checks, no credit cards, make sure you have cash. This has worked well for me several times in the past. The bigger the event, the better chance of getting a good deal.

Good shopping,
Jeff
+ 1
This is exactly what I was saying earlier. All it takes is being in the right place at the right time, and flashing CASH. The last thing the dealers want to do is have to spend all that time putting everything that didn't sell away again.

But the very last thing they want is...after a weekend of selling/trying to sell/haggling prices/etc....is have someone come up who is window-shopping.

Know what you are looking for, know about what they sell for, specially in your area, know how much you are willing to spend, find the guy who has it, make an offer. If he comes back with "no" or asks for more than you want to spend, go find the next guy. Or you could slyly pull out about how much you want to spend, and slowly count it out...to yourself, but make sure he can hear you and see you. Chances are good you'll get your deal.

Slo

Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 443 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Good points slo,,,, I always liked to go to a gun show on Saturday, scope out any items that I was interested in purchasing, get prices from different vendors, etc., then head back late Sunday and make the deal. It can backfire and the items may be gone, but that is why I check multiple vendors. As you say, know what you want, let them know you are serious about buying.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #14

Well, I guess it depends on where in the country you live...
here in Florida the prices are through the roof and the dealers don't budge.
Especially with all the craze buying that has been going on since obama has been in office.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

One of the main problems is the gun show promoters themselves. Here in GA, the main promoter has barred some dealers for selling at reasonable prices. Some of his crazy priced table renters complained and threatened to quit coming to his shows. What does this asshat do? He no longer rents tables to the dealers that sell at reasonable prices.

This is a fact that I verified with the owners of two shops that no longer attend his shows. The only reason I ever go to a show anymore is to buy ammo from Georgia-Arms as they always have a nice stock on hand at fair prices...

Old 09-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #16

NGIB,

makes sense to me...must be the same promoter here in FL.
I too buy ammo from Georgia-Arms, they do have some reasonably priced ammo both in rifle loads & handgun loads. The last gun show (June '09) I went to they had some ammo with ballistic tips for my favorite hunting rifle & varmint rifle.