Shopping at Gun shows
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shopping at Gun shows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shopping at Gun shows

Alright So i'm attending a gun show over the weekend. I have about $800 to spend. I want to get a semi-automatic "assault" rifle. However I'm kinda clueless on what to look for

What should I look for in AK-47 within the $800 range? There are some many different brands, I'm pretty confused on the ones to look for. Can some give me a general run through of the decent brands and what to look for?

What about any AR types for the $800- $900 range? I know that DPMS makes a fairly cheap AR, but I don't know if i'll find one, or if they're any good.

What should I expect to find ('assault' rifle wise) at the show?

For reference I'll be going to this one up in Waukesha, Wisconsin. At 1000 Northview Road, Events.

Thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, $800 is a lot of money to spend, and there SHOULD be several rifles that fit your needs, but let me ask you this....

What is it that you are wanting the weapon to do for you?? What is your ultimate goal??

Because if you want a zombies in the wire, perimeter defense gun, getting a DPMS 20" bull barrel AR would be a bad choice.

Conversely, if you want a prairie dog shooting machine, out to 400 or so yards, getting an AK or an SKS would be a bad choice.

Help us, help you...

JD

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't hold out too much hope of getting a bargain at a gun show. For the last decade or so, guns shows have become nothing more than dollar stores selling guns & ammo at high prices, and surplus gear...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #4

I'm mostly getting it for target shooting. Also I need a good SHTF firearm. I figure I buy one before Obama bans them (should have bought one years ago...).

Will I really not find anything worth while at the gun show? I don't want to waste my time.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You should go browse at Gunbroker or one of the auction sites. A friend picked up a lil WASR10 AK47 at a gun show earlier this year. He overpaid a bit, but has been happy with his $500~ toy. You might like an SKS; they use the same ammo as the AK47, but are less expensive and a bit heavier.

I hope you find something you enjoy.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Hell come down to hoover.

They are having an AK sale.

975 bucks for a Yugo and 1000 Rounds of ammo out the door....that's with the tax included!

Or 925 with a WASR and 1000 Rounds.

Right now I wouldn't spend over 600 bucks on an AK. That's about average price for me.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 09-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I sure hope you were saying that with "tongue-in-cheek", because the only thing you didn't mention in either of those deals was the K-Y Jelly to go with them

Seriously, if you are over $500 for most of the AK's out there right now, you should make sure you got wined and dined first, before getting the extended shaft

That's not saying that there aren't any out there worth paying more for, I'm sure there are plenty early Russian AK's/SKS's, rare Norinco's, etc. Heck, I'd go over the $500 mark for another Robinson Armament VEPR or just about anything from Arsenal Inc. But not for a plain jane Yugo or Romy, regardless of the case of ammo. Not at those prices.

Not sure what kind of gun show products are available at the shows in the Original Posters area, but around these parts you can still find some half way decent deals. The trick is knowing what you want, knowing what they are worth (do your homework ahead of time and check out auction - gunbroker - prices online to get an idea), and either getting there very early in the show, or near the end of the show - at least it has worked for me in the past. I think mainly because the dealers haven't had the chance to figure out what the buyers are going to be like - if you get there early. And if you go towards the end of the show, you might just catch one who might be willing to make a deal so he doesn't have to pack it all again. Also, CASH talks Don't be afraid to say "no - that's too much for me" either. Out here, it seems there is a show every month now. So lots of chances out there to find what you want. Good luck.

Slo

Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergify View Post
I'm mostly getting it for target shooting. Also I need a good SHTF firearm. I figure I buy one before Obama bans them (should have bought one years ago...).

Will I really not find anything worth while at the gun show? I don't want to waste my time.
A gun ban anytime soon will just speed up the inevitable - a complete ousting of all Democrats in both houses - and they know this, so I doubt you have to rush out to buy something. Pick up a Shotgun News in the magazine section of WalMart and check prices for AK-47's and other guns. You should be able to buy a Romanian AK47 for under $400. Yugo SKS's sell for about $350 in arsenal new condition. I doubt you'll find any bargains at a gun show...last one I went to was a waste of time and admission fee. Even the ammo was more expensive than I could buy online. I did get some good bumper stickers though!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #9

Even with the transfer fee, on-line is your best bet.
You could find something you like under the 800 budget
and pocket the rest or buy accessories & ammo.
I haven't found a good deal at a gun show in a very long time.
Lately, like RL357Mag says, they have only been good for the little things.
Gun show knife prices' are sooo far over priced, the highest priced retailer
is a better deal. Right now with hunting season around the cornor I don't look to find any kind of savings at the "Gun Shows".

Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #10

my buddy got a DPMS,flat top,16in heavy brll.. NIB at a show here for $675