Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Shooting Times Rifle Comparison Review (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/shooting-times-rifle-comparison-review-69022/)

Model70 07-26-2012 08:32 PM

Shooting Times Rifle Comparison Review

In the latest issue of Shooting Times they compared a Browning X bolt, CZ American, Remington 700 BDL, Ruger 77, Savage 114, and a Winchester Model 70. All rifles between $600-$1100.

All blue barrels and walnut stocks, all with a Bushnell Elite 6500 scope in Leupold QR rings. All in .270 Win. with Remington Core Lokt, Federal Trophy Bonded Tips, and Hornady Superformance ammo.

Tested them on function, accuracy, ergonomics, trigger pull, and appearance.

Best accuracy was the Savage with the Federal Trophy Bonded Tips. Second was the model 70. Last was the 700 BDL.

The Browning X Bolt had the best trigger.

The Winchester had the best stock for comfort, shoot ability, and looks.

CZ, Savage and Ruger all experienced various function issues.

Overall winner? Winchester Model 70. "Functioned with boring predictability."

I thought it was interesting. The old Core-Lokt ammo was the most consistent throughout, the 700 was least accurate, and the 75 year old Model 70 stole the show.

TLuker 07-26-2012 09:00 PM

Good for the Model 70. I've been a little worried about Winchester and the Model 70 for awhile now. Good to know they are still putting out a solid rifle. :)

Muliemaster 07-26-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model70
In the latest issue of Shooting Times they compared a Browning X bolt, CZ American, Remington 700 BDL, Ruger 77, Savage 114, and a Winchester Model 70. All rifles between $600-$1100.

All blue barrels and walnut stocks, all with a Bushnell Elite 6500 scope in Leupold QR rings. All in .270 Win. with Remington Core Lokt, Federal Trophy Bonded Tips, and Hornady Superformance ammo.

Tested them on function, accuracy, ergonomics, trigger pull, and appearance.

Best accuracy was the Savage with the Federal Trophy Bonded Tips. Second was the model 70. Last was the 700 BDL.

The Browning X Bolt had the best trigger.

The Winchester had the best stock for comfort, shoot ability, and looks.

CZ, Savage and Ruger all experienced various function issues.

Overall winner? Winchester Model 70. "Functioned with boring predictability."

I thought it was interesting. The old Core-Lokt ammo was the most consistent throughout, the 700 was least accurate, and the 75 year old Model 70 stole the show.

Well ol pal its me mulie new sneaky code name, did you not already know the model 70, ahh the holy grail of american pride the riflemans rifle would not be number 1.

Model70 07-26-2012 10:11 PM

I thought of it as a public service announcement.

ChicagoJoe 07-26-2012 10:28 PM

For all those Model 70 fans, say "thank you, Fabrique Nationale" for bringing the storied rifle back from the dead.

Muliemaster 07-26-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe
For all those Model 70 fans, say "thank you, Fabrique Nationale" for bringing the storied rifle back from the dead.

Its never been dead rolleyes

Model70 07-28-2012 03:04 AM

Thought for a gun forum there'd have been more discussion...

jjfuller1 07-28-2012 11:52 AM

I read part if it. Decided it wasn't worth comparing 2 good rifles I love my model 70 and eventually want a 700.. so what's to discuss???

Axxe55 07-28-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model70 (Post 884648)
Thought for a gun forum there'd have been more discussion...

wasnt any need for me. pretty much anyone that knows rifles, knows the M70 is one fine rifle. most of those tests are subjective anyways. the M700, least accurate? not hardly! best trigger? these tests are not objective as lots of times, they only use one type of ammo, or a very small assortment. best trigger, would really be a subjective test. what one person likes, compared to what someone else likes. i don't buy rifles based on gun magazine comparisons, i prefer reviews from people who actually have owned or do own and shoot them.

HOSSFLY 07-28-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

and the 75 year old Model 70 stole the show.
That is the one thing i can truly believe in any "comparision" test in a gun rag :D