Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Shooting Practice and Bullet (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/shooting-practice-bullet-21918/)

Stevesdl 01-07-2010 05:33 PM

Shooting Practice and Bullet

HI All,
I want to practice deligently with my new 338 Win mag through the spring and summer so that I am very good when Elk hunting season comes here in CO.

Should I practice with the exact rounds that I wil be hunting with?

What are a few good hunting rounds for Colorado Elk? (Bullet Grain and Bullet type) I hope there are some that are not currently priced at $70.00 for 20.

thanks ahead of time
Stevesdl

cpttango30 01-07-2010 05:47 PM

unforuntunatly you pick a caliber that is not known for cheap shooting.

I would try the Hornady loads. Hornady Custom Ammunition 338 Winchester Magnum 225 Grain SST Box of 20 - MidwayUSA They are like $37 for 20.

Stevesdl 01-07-2010 06:01 PM

Thank you. This is a start. Price for that particular round is not too bad considering....

Tbag0802 01-08-2010 04:53 AM

Too bad you don't reoad. Maybe you can ask around at work or do some networking and find a guy that reloads. Then, providing they have the proper dies, you can buy the components.

willfully armed 01-08-2010 05:06 AM

important to remember that all rounds shoot differently.

If you sight in and practice with 225gr, then decide to hunt with 250gr, the ballistics and point of impact are different.

Always practice with your hunting rounds.

Stevesdl 01-08-2010 09:17 PM

HI Willfully
Yeah that is understood and thanks... Whatever I practive with will be the hunting bullet as well.

Thanks again
Stevesdl

Wambli 01-08-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesdl (Post 209650)
HI All,
I want to practice deligently with my new 338 Win mag through the spring and summer so that I am very good when Elk hunting season comes here in CO.

Should I practice with the exact rounds that I wil be hunting with?

Not nessesary, you shoot the Win Mag enough to be proficient and to make sure you can handle the recoil but you practice shooting from field positions with a low recoil rifle that is easy on the budget/shoulder. My main "practice" rifle is a Ruger 77/22 but I hunt with everything from .223 to .300 Win Mag. I taught my children that way and they are both outstanding hunters/shooters that can handle any caliber I throw at them..

joken 01-10-2010 02:11 AM

Lots of great bullets out there these days. I shoot 250gr Nosler Partitions in my Sako 338. Different bullets will have a different point of impact so yes I personally practice with my exact hunting load. I also shoot a lot of other rifles and my favorites are my rimfires. Shooting .22's a lot will make you a better rifleman. My 338 kicks the snot out of me and I don't like shooting it. Ken

Stevesdl 01-13-2010 04:51 PM

Ammunition Costs Very Disappointing

This afternoon, I will purchase my Weatherby Vanguard 338 Win Mag. I have posted a few questions and had excellent answers and feedback - thank you all.

I am looking to see where I can find some at least decently priced ammunition (and I know y'all have tolerated this extortion these last few years b efore I came into the picture)

I might not be the sharpest rocket scientist in the world, but I believe just like the coffee, sugar and gas shortage, this is just another product extortion for the American people. I am very disappointed and now even questioning the 338 opposed to the 30 06 because of ammo costs.

If some say the costs of metals has driven the price up, then why are some shells similar in density, weight and size (338 - 3006 - 300) dramatically different in costs. -- Fool us once

If some say it was the Obama fear, then we can be sure the real truth is someone yelled "fire in the theater" and everyone across the nation bought the starting lie those few idiots yelled and caused the stampede but if this is true, why now that the stampede is about over, why haven't the prices come down. -- Fool us twice

If supply and demand is an additional reason (another extortion tactic by itself), then we have been fooled by the ammunition wholesale and retail suppliers. -- Fool us three times

and finally if it is "whatever the market will bare" bs. -- Fool us four times.

Shame on somebody, just not sure if that might be "us".

Cabelas and Midway prices are just not decent. Any other suggestions.

ADDED THIS AFTER THE POST: I thought I found cheaper ammo but it was for the RCM (Ruger Compact)

thanks for listening
Stevesdl

joken 01-13-2010 10:57 PM

Ammo

Try Natchez Shooters Supply and then start reloading. Ken