Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle wear from cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My take is that the majority of muzzle corrosion is due to simple humidity. We stand our rifles up on their buttends, muzzle upwards. Moisture will enter the bore, and collect on the inside. Rarely will it descend much further. So it sits there month after month, eating the metal little by little. Keeping our bores oiled, or even greased for longterm storage, will prevent this.

Those poor rods get the blame for a lot of damage.....

I do clean from the chamber end if possible, but many designs don't allow this. I have seen some Ruger 10-22 owners actually drill an access hole in the receiver rear to allow a rod through. My old BSA International has this feature, and I suspect the Ruger guys got the idea from BSA. Just drop the trigger pack and the bolt, and clean her good!

I only use brushes for the first cleaning of a new/old rifle, when I get it. After that, a simple swipe with oiled patches keeps her clean.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #22

Liked 100 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Just like the myth of Mattel toy maker making the M-16, never happened but people still believe it is the truth.
What???

(j/k)

Old 11-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #23

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
My take is that the majority of muzzle corrosion is due to simple humidity. We stand our rifles up on their buttends, muzzle upwards. Moisture will enter the bore, and collect on the inside. Rarely will it descend much further. So it sits there month after month, eating the metal little by little. Keeping our bores oiled, or even greased for longterm storage, will prevent this.

Those poor rods get the blame for a lot of damage.....

I do clean from the chamber end if possible, but many designs don't allow this. I have seen some Ruger 10-22 owners actually drill an access hole in the receiver rear to allow a rod through. My old BSA International has this feature, and I suspect the Ruger guys got the idea from BSA. Just drop the trigger pack and the bolt, and clean her good!

I only use brushes for the first cleaning of a new/old rifle, when I get it. After that, a simple swipe with oiled patches keeps her clean.
I picked up a old Chlean 95 Mauser up in Alaska. The price was low and I thought it would be something to play with and see if I could make it shoot. This is one of the few rifles I ever wore a bronze brush out in. My God it had a fouled bore. But I finally got it to hit something at 100 yards besides the dirt. LOL
Sarge

Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of my first milsurps bought at the local gunshow, before I knew what to look for, is a Finn M39 Mosin. Beautiful tiger-striped stock, decent blueing. But, I call her "The Prom Queen With Bad Teeth" - the first couple inches of the bore at the muzzle are heavily pitted - not worn from 'cleaning'. Just pure corrosion. Shoots like a .410 shotgun - patterns, not inches. Though it does much better with the 204 grain softpoint Russian ammo. Baby likes her bonbons on the heavy side!

On the other hand, I bought one of the old worn and ratty 'wire wrapped grenade launcher' Enfield No.1 Mk.111 rifles. Figured I'd use it for a project - but I cleaned it and it shot very well indeed! And the crown is an oval, from 'over-cleaning' with a rod, or maybe from the grenade rod down the bore? But it does not affect the shooting. So I stripped and refinished the rifle.

So I believe lack of proper cleaning ruins the bore far more than 'over cleaning' with any rod. Just my personal experience.