Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle wear from cleaning - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle wear from cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

now...

The benchrest guys will say, just the brush clearing the muzzle, then the rod dropping(a fraction of an inch...i know) is enough to change the physical characteristics of the crown.

I take the utmost care when cleaning my "good" guns. But I dont believe it will make a noticeable difference in the cleaning schedules most guys have.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog View Post
If you look at a barrel of recent manufacture which has thousands of rounds through it, you will see the rifling is eroded at the throat while the muzzle looks relatively pristine. Early military barrels are a slightly different story because the ammuniton was corrosive and the barrel steel was different in composition.
Aluminum rods damage bores in two ways. First, because they are soft, grit become embedded in the rod and cuts the barrel. Second, aluminum oxide forms on the surface of the rod and abrades the barrel steel.
Having said this, I think it would take some time to wear the barrel appreciably by cleaning from either end. GD
Answer for aluminum rods.
"Grit can become embedded" Dictionary: Embed- To set or firmly fix in a surrounding mass.
And what type of pressure would it take(side ways pressure)to embed a liquid of graphite and nitrocellous burned into a plastic ash. The cleaning rod does not go sideways, it goes up and down. No pressure there. If someone is real careless they could force the cleaning rod against the end of the rifling but the black dirty stuff is not on the rod, it is in the cotton swab. And suspended in the oily cleaning fluid that allows it to slide easily up the barrel. After the second or third bronze brushing which centers the cleaning rod and keeps it from scraping the side of the barrel then the next half a dozen or even a dozen times the rod goes up and down the barrel the cotton swap carries an oily solution soaked into it's thickness. Cleaning rods with well lubricated cotton swabs do not embbed nor do they deteriate to aluminum oxide. The oil on the rod keeps the aluminum from forming an oxide because it keeps the oxygen from uniting with the metal and forming aluminum oxide.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #13

Default Myths

Wheeeeeew that myth busting really got some response. And some good thinking on the part of everyone. Thanks for agreeing or disagreeing with me. That is all part of the site.
Sarge

Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The German WW2 cleaning gear was a steel chain, pulled through like a boresnake. They got dragged across the muzzle pretty good and probably did not do a lot of good.

I stopped using brushes years ago, after an interesting conversation with some bench rest guys at the range. Kroil, patches and solvents for me.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #15

Default Bench rest guys

I think everyone will agree that those bench rest guys are just a little crazy.
Sarge

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
Sarge
i would totally agree. ive seen some of em casting voodoo spells with dead chicken feet to get their guns clean.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #17

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

It is very hard dispelling gun myths; people tend to believe what they want instead of actual proof. The gun myth of the bullet from an M-16 tumbling end over end right out of the barrel is still floating around and people still believe it as truth. Just like the myth of Mattel toy maker making the M-16, never happened but people still believe it is the truth.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #18

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

On my 308 target rifle with a SS barrel and my AR with a SS barrel I use patches only. I start with Hoppes #9 then dry it out then give it a go with Hoppes copper solvent or gunslick foaming bore cleaner.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #19

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
Sarge
anyone who takes their reloading setup to the range is either dedicated..... Or Fing nuts!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default About the first half inch...

Or more on a m91/30 Mosin/nagant muzzle has been counterbored for that
reason! (It was a rifle made by peasents for use by peasants) & likely cleaned
by peasents! (No wonder the rifle has such a long barrel & the overall length
is just over 4 feet!) (Attach the 18" bayonet & you have a rather effective
pike to dismount someone on horseback if you are out of ammo)!

Last edited by nwrednk; 11-13-2010 at 08:47 AM.