Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle Brakes - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Shooting down gun myths, Muzzle Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
I don't believe that a muzzle brake will make the firearm actually louder, however the noise level perceived by the shooter will probably be increased. Noise and pressure waves that are normally projected forward and away from the shooter are now allowed to escape the barrel in different directions and sometimes back toward the ear of the person behind the trigger.

Don't forget that ported barrels also effectively shorten the barrel length, and this allows more powder to be changed into noise energy instead of mechanical energy which propels the bullet. This translates to more noise.
Addendum to my original post. The reason I am so sure of my post is because I bought a audiometer. My son and I did this experiment together. First I set the rifle up in very solid locked in shooting vise. I measured the exact spot on the bench that the front of the barrel was above. That became my #1 survey point. From there I measured 45 deg. to the right rear. and drew a line exactly 24" to the rear of the survey point and 45 deg. to the right. That became another survey point. I continued all around the clock until I had a survey point in 6 directions. 45 Deg left in front, straight in front but low enough that the bullet would not hit anything, and 45 deg right of the #1 point. Then I repeated that until I could get noise from around the clock. And I also measured how high each point was from the concrete shooting shelter base. I then set the Audimeter up in each point and shot the rifle with a muzzle brake. Recording each point and it's decibles. I then switched to a exactly identical rifle with no muzzle brake. And repeated the test. To my surprise the rifle with no muzzle brake had higher (but not much higher maybe .3 to .5 decibles) noise over the muzzle brake rifle. Now this could be called by the difference between two rifles. But I made those rifles for myself and my buddy. They were both identical calibers .458 Win.Mag. and Identical stocks and identical actions. The barrels came from one supplier and the ammo was hand loaded by me using scales and powder tricklers with new cases. All bullets came from the same box. The only difference was the muzzle brake.
Interesting isn't it?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #32

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
"Believe what you want, but if you set up on a bench next to a .300 Mag with a muzzle brake, secure all of your loose ammo and double muff."

You mean one like this?

Attachment 20570
I'm coming in a little late here, but I've done just that, next to THAT rifle. The quote holds true. When mrm14 loosed that cannon 2 lanes over, I felt my leg hairs blown straight out to the side, and the concrete bench reverberated like a gong. It was pretty cool

Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #33

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
I'm coming in a little late here, but I've done just that, next to THAT rifle. The quote holds true. When mrm14 loosed that cannon 2 lanes over, I felt my leg hairs blown straight out to the side, and the concrete bench reverberated like a gong. It was pretty cool
Yeah it is cool And like I said I don't even notice it being behind the rifle.
A month ago I got to shoot next to a Barret in .338 Lapua and if you think the blast from my rifle was harsh 2 benches away this rifles muzzel brakes blast was near pushing my entire body in prone when shooting next to this guy. Mabey I'm a sick puppy, but to me, it was cool. All it's really about is putting steel on target with these larger caliber magnum rifles.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-25-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #34

Muzzle blast and noise are two different things. I agree with you that muzzle blast is tremendous on either side of a comp't rifle. But don't equate noise with the blast that you feel.
Sarge

Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Watch the Coke Bottle.

It is always amusing to see people put their drinks next to them when firing a .50 BMG.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Here's another picture of the blast from a muzzle brake....

I also have a .30-378 with an on-off brake...although the recoil reduction is welcomed when the brake is "on", the concussion is tremendous.

As for the .50 BMG, you learn very quickly to keep your mouth closed when firing since the concussion/pressure will give your sinuses a good work out if you forget!

lar-.50-shot.jpg  

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
Here's another picture of the blast from a muzzle brake....

I also have a .30-378 with an on-off brake...although the recoil reduction is welcomed when the brake is "on", the concussion is tremendous.

As for the .50 BMG, you learn very quickly to keep your mouth closed when firing since the concussion/pressure will give your sinuses a good work out if you forget!
Huh...I would have thought it would be the other way around. Artillery crew men (and others in the vicinity) during WWII had to keep their mouths open during big barrages, or risk getting their eardrums ruptured by the pressure differential between the ear and the throat. I guess that's a whole different animal, but still!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #38

Default Muzzle blast

That is right, the last unit I was assigned to before my retirement in the Army was a Artillery Unit. With 105m & 155mm mobile cannons. Even though we all wore muffs we still were instructed to keep our mouths open when the cannons went off. I was in the Survey Crew (Crew Chief) and we frequently would accidently be in range when the big boys went off. After a while I assigned one of my men to watch the cannon cockers to see when they were going to pull the lanyard so we could be prepared.
Sarge

Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
That is right, the last unit I was assigned to before my retirement in the Army was a Artillery Unit. With 105m & 155mm mobile cannons. Even though we all wore muffs we still were instructed to keep our mouths open when the cannons went off. I was in the Survey Crew (Crew Chief) and we frequently would accidently be in range when the big boys went off. After a while I assigned one of my men to watch the cannon cockers to see when they were going to pull the lanyard so we could be prepared.
Sarge
I can't say I've ever heard anything bigger than a 70(75?)mm Mountain Howitzer going off in person. I just always remembered the part about keeping your mouth open from the descriptions I've read of the Red Army's last big barrage before the final push on Berlin...IIRC, it was (and still is) the largest concentration of artillery ever attempted, both in absolute number of tubes, and in guns per square meter. I think it was something like 10,000 guns, 40,000 including mortars...I'm not sure if that includes the Katyusha launchers (3,000+ of them!). Of course, this is over a three-army front, but still...the gun crews wadded cotton into their ears, and were instructed to open their mouths and scream as loud as they could to help equalize the pressure once the guns began firing. Even so, a great many ended up serving the guns for the next couple of hours with blood running from their ears.
It was an absolutely devastating amount of ordnance, but it mostly landed on empty ground and villages (I remember one bit about a small village basically flying into a storm of smoke and rubble within moments of the bombardment beginning. It was basically obliterated.) The German commander had pulled most of his men back before it began, and so it really didn't do much more than make a very (very!) impressive fireworks display. Funny, that seems to happen a lot with large artillery bombardments, doesn't it?
I know this doesn't have much to do with muzzle brakes, but I found it interesting.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #40

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Anyone else find it off that someone spent $4k on a 50 cal rifle and then put a cheap $30 TASCO scope on it?